Having issues filling gas tank on 2007 Sport Trac,

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barry

Reaction score
Having issues filling gas tank on 2007 Sport Trac, I have to put the fuel in very slow, it keeps shutting the nozzle off and sometimes the check engine comes on andIi have to reset it. Any suggestions on what this might be?

Did you try a different pump? Have had this happen on different vehicles on occasion. Recently this happened while filling my wife's Murano. Hasn't happen before or since. Could be they way you are holding it, somebody cram something in there, the pump could be borked, the stars aren't aligned, etc.
Why is the check light coming on? What code is it giving you?

Having issues filling gas tank on 2007 Sport Trac, I have to put the fuel in very slow, it keeps shutting the nozzle off and sometimes the check engine comes on andIi have to reset it. Any suggestions on what this might be?
I have the exact same issue with my wife's '06 Escape. With her car it appears to be a nozzle design issue. I have no problems at certain service stations. At others it's a time consuming process! My "sort of a solution" is to hold the nozzle up and not let it rest on the filler neck edge. Even doing it that way it still takes time.

Craig R.

Thank you everybody, but this happens at all different pumps. it is not a pump issue?

Thank you everybody, but this happens at all different pumps. it is not a pump issue?
My 2002 has a similar problem. It fills up just fine, but shuts off before it's full. When I've had the time, I've been able to nurse in another 4 or 5 gallons.
I always assumed it was the filler neck design.

given the check engine light is coming on, it's probably a clogged evaporative canister. Commonly this is caused by topping up (also know as overfilling) the tank, but it can also 'just happen', or only at specific pumps that have light triggers for shutoff.

Next time check the code on the check engine before you reset, that should clarify things.

While filling up, the gas vapors are meant to overflow into the EGR system via this canister. If it's clogged the vapors build up and trick the pump into thinking the tank is full.

I'm not sure where it is on the Sport Trac, can replace it on a Honda Fit where I learned about this phenomenon ;-)

Last edited:
My '04 will do the same, On filling from 1/4 tank or less. I think it might be built up vapor pressure.
I find that sometimes if I rotate the pump nozzle flat. It stops.

It happened to my mother's Sorento. It was the evaporator canister. I had to unclog it several times and then finally wadded up steel wool as a mesh screen to stop the charcoal grains from clogging the air passage.

Evap solenoid or clogged evap line. OR some one stuffed something in the filler neck... Or a hose from some one trying to steal gas is in there...

Latest posts