Head Gasket Replacement

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fudged Undies

Reaction score
Anyone done one on our SOHC. I'm guessing I need to replace one on my trac. Overheated last week(severely) and though I haven't confirmed it, will be doing compression testing tomorrow, it kinda looks that way.

The trac has a miss at idle and while trying bleeding the cooling system (after the overheat), water will shoot out of the radiator, like a geiser, on acceleration. My guess is that one of my gaskets is shot and compression is escaping via the cooling system. No codes are being thrown.

Moreover, can anyone confirm whether the engine has to be removed for the job or can it be done on the vehicle? Using the Ford cd manual, from ebay, it indicates it's not necessary but I was under the impression the engine needed to be removed.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions or advice?

The 4.0 should not need to be removed from the truck.....

Sucks you have to do it, Just get the heads tested and milled to re a sure you have no problems again...

Todd Z

had one done a couple of years ago around 90K miles - I understand there are two timing chains and both were near ruin, so the engine was pulled - while on the subject, I'm considering an 07 with the V6 and hope there is nothing inherently wrong with that engine

Nothing really wrong with it except that it is a 4.0 litre engine that only generates 210 horsepower and delivers nearly identical fuel mileage as the 4.6 litre V8.

Alright, so in prepping for what will be a long weekend, I'm considering what I need to get to do the head gasket. I was contemplating doing the timing chains as well, since I do have the rattle but this is what I believe the engine needs to be pulled for (what I was thinking) as Patrick confirmed above.

I'll go ahead and swap the plugs while I'm in there. Hopefully none of the o-rings on the intake will get damaged.

The obvious are the gaskets: Head, valve cover and timing chain cover.

I believe I will need a harmonic balancer puller(as per the manual)

Lot's of beer.

Can anyone think of anything else?

Latest posts