Head gasket sealer.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Byron

Reaction score
My 05 Sport Trac was losing coolant as there was a radiator leak. It overheated to the point the valves were banging for maybe 5 secs before I turned it off. I had the radiator replaced. The mechanic told me when I picked it up he was noticing a miss. He mentioned blown head gasket. I notice the miss when I'm trying to start it and it misses for a bit once it gets running. Thoughts on head gasket sealer products?

Bryon, Has there been any overheating? White smoke out the tailpipe? You could check for water in the oil (milky look). Some shops will check for exhaust gases out the tailpipe. Maybe the miss is from needing a tuneup. I don't like head gasket sealer unless you are really low on cash. If it works, it will be temporary. Keep us posted.
God bless Ed

Thanks. Yes what happened was my radiator was leaking and I kept just filling it up with water. Finally I got caught it overheated and I could hear the valves rattle not more than 5 seconds before I shut it off. The mechanic who put in the new radiator said it had a miss and it does when you try to start it for the first time and for a little bit after that as well that I could have blown a head gasket.

Thanks. Yes what happened was my radiator was leaking and I kept just filling it up with water. Finally I got caught it overheated and I could hear the valves rattle not more than 5 seconds before I shut it off. The mechanic who put in the new radiator said it had a miss and it does when you try to start it for the first time and for a little bit after that as well that I could have blown a head gasket.
Thanks for your response

I had a 1981 Winnebago LeSharo motor home that had a Renault engine. They were known for blowing head gaskets and sure enough mine started leaking. I used a product called SteelSeal that I bought online from the manufacturer. It wasn't particularly cheap compared to the products you can buy in auto parts stores but it got me an additional 5,000 miles until the differential gave out and I sold the motorhome. And yes, I informed the buyer about the head gasket situation.

Incidentally, the SteelSeal comes with a 100% lifetime guarantee for as long as you own the vehicle.

Sorry Byron, I did not know of "steel shield" if it works, great!
Ed

DID you do a compression test to confirm? did you do a coolant system check to test ???
DONT EVER believe crook mechanics ( DONT care if they are your cousin, uncle, friend or dealer) CHECK AND TEST !!!
it could just be a bad plug....

It has a new radiator. Before I took it in to get a new radiator I got under the car and look for leaks didn't see any the water pump relatively new. It's still leaking coolant and when you take the oil cap off there's this white gunk in there. It's not blowing white smoke and there's no obvious signs of water in the oil. So I have to decide to invest in this truck or try to dump it to a dealer.

Latest posts