Headlight covers

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben Schepper

Reaction score
Ok so my trac has the black headlight and tail light covers... Well driving home from school i was pulled over... The officer said it was illegal to have these on my vehicle in WA state? Any one know if he is right? I took them off... But i thought it was legal to have the covers? There is a good story 2 but well its a pending legal situation as to what happened after the covers...

I don't know about WA, but it is illegal to have them on here at night.....(although I have not taken mine off yet). That would suck to have them and not even be able to use them during the day, but I can't imagine that being true. Maybe someone else can 'shed alittle light', so to speak, on WA State laws

illegal ANY time here in NY on the road.

in most states it's illegal. The law in those states in general will read something as follows:

The front the vehicle must display at least two yellow, white or amber turn signals and they must be visible at all time. To the rear of the vehicle at least two red stop/turn signals must be displayed at all times. The vehicle should have at least one red reflector on each rear side of the vehicle and a yellow, amber or white reflector on the front side corner of the vehicle.

Lexus vehicles with the clear rear lights attaches two red relectors on the rear bumper and then uses red LED's in the clear stop lights/signals housings to meet DOT requirements of the color red showing to the rear at all time.

What about vehicles with retractable headlights? Hmmm?

Mookie, read the post above from the law.

The front the vehicle must display at leasttwo yellow, white or amber turn signals and they must be visible at all time.

A vehicle with retractable headlights has the turn signals always showing, but the headlights, without the turn signals, can be hidden.

Tom

From OFF TRAC:

in most states it's illegal. The law in those states in general will read something as follows:

The front the vehicle must display at least two yellow, white or amber turn signals and they must be visible at all time.

I guess I didn't make myself clear. The point I was trying to make is that he was pulled over for covering the turn signals, not the headlights.

Yup, you can cover up and/or retract the headlights, but that's it. Signal lights must be shown (one per side) at all times.

Also just a quick note here in Texas and in most states, no more then 4 lights to the front of the vehicle can be "on" while on a public road at one time. Lights for this issue refers to headlights & fog lights, flood lights and/or driving lights.

So on the ST per-say you can only have the 2 headlights and the stock fog lights or stock fogs with two aftermarket fog/flood and/or driving lights on or headlights and aftermarket fog/flood and/or driving lights.

Also headlights must be on 30 minutes prior to sunset and also must be on 30 minutes prior to sunrise (this is in Texas, may differ in another state)

Last edited by a moderator: