Headlights not very bright?

Help Support SportTrac.org:

W Lee McElfresh

V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
Hello Forum Team,
I have an '02 Sport Trac that I have replaced the headlight assemblies on due to yellowing, however, I am not at all happy with the illumination or projection. I am better off drive with the brights on all the time, since they are no so bright oncoming traffic never flashes me. Are there any of you that have had success in installing something that actually works? TIA

DILLARD000

1st Gen Owner
V6 Engine
4 Wheel Drive
Reaction score
...02 Sport Trac
...replaced the headlight assemblies on due to yellowing
...not at all happy with the illumination or projection
...something that actually works?
Assuming your OEM Fog+HeadLight Fixtures+Bulbs were replaced with new Similar Fixtures+Bulbs?
My 2001 ExST still has OEM Fixtures; they've been Removed+Polished+Reinstalled twice in 20+ years.
~ OEM HeadLamps = 9007hb5Base\065wHi55wLo\Yelo12v2Filaments\SylvaniaOrEqual
~ OEM FogLamps = 9145hb3Base90Deg\Yelo65w12v1Filaments\SylvaniaOrEqual
Replaced the Bulbs twice in 20+ years; last ~7years been satisfactorily using these:
~ New HeadLamps = 9007hb5Base\100wHi80wLo\Blue12v2Filaments\SylvaniaOrEqual
~ New FogLamps = 9005hb3Base90Deg\Whit80w12v21LEDs\CreeOrEqual (Easy Swap wOut Ballast)
Switching FogLamps from Bulbs took some experimentation trying several LED replacements;
a lot of bad junk LEDs are being sold; finally found the Cree type that is bright & has lasted.
Usually drive with FogLight button ON & HeadLight selector at DAY or FULLON position.
Hope this helps. Click here for more info.
2001.Ford_Elec.Lamp_Fore.Head_9007HB5Bulb.GIF

2001.Ford_Elec.Lamp_Fore.Fogs_9005HB3LEDs.GIF

Last edited:

curtis james

Reaction score
i have hid and they are bright, they have a bluish tint but light up road, only low beam, when high beams they are factory,, my kid put them in 10 years ago and never had a problem..i have a ford flex and not sure what they are but they are blinders.. so bright from factory.

Latest posts