Headlights not very bright?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello Forum Team,
I have an '02 Sport Trac that I have replaced the headlight assemblies on due to yellowing, however, I am not at all happy with the illumination or projection. I am better off drive with the brights on all the time, since they are no so bright oncoming traffic never flashes me. Are there any of you that have had success in installing something that actually works? TIA

...02 Sport Trac
...replaced the headlight assemblies on due to yellowing
...not at all happy with the illumination or projection
...something that actually works?
Assuming your OEM Fog+HeadLight Fixtures+Bulbs were replaced with new Similar Fixtures+Bulbs?
My 2001 ExST still has OEM Fixtures; they've been Removed+Polished+Reinstalled twice in 20+ years.
~ OEM HeadLamps = 9007hb5Base\065wHi55wLo\Yelo12v2Filaments\SylvaniaOrEqual
~ OEM FogLamps = 9145hb3Base90Deg\Yelo65w12v1Filaments\SylvaniaOrEqual
Replaced the Bulbs twice in 20+ years; last ~7years been satisfactorily using these:
~ New HeadLamps = 9007hb5Base\100wHi80wLo\Blue12v2Filaments\SylvaniaOrEqual
~ New FogLamps = 9005hb3Base90Deg\Whit80w12v21LEDs\CreeOrEqual (Easy Swap wOut Ballast)
Switching FogLamps from Bulbs took some experimentation trying several LED replacements;
a lot of bad junk LEDs are being sold; finally found the Cree type that is bright & has lasted.
Usually drive with FogLight button ON & HeadLight selector at DAY or FULLON position.
Hope this helps. Click here for more info.
2001.Ford_Elec.Lamp_Fore.Head_9007HB5Bulb.GIF

2001.Ford_Elec.Lamp_Fore.Fogs_9005HB3LEDs.GIF

Last edited:
i have hid and they are bright, they have a bluish tint but light up road, only low beam, when high beams they are factory,, my kid put them in 10 years ago and never had a problem..i have a ford flex and not sure what they are but they are blinders.. so bright from factory.

Convert to LED and install them correctly...

Convert to LED and install them correctly...
There are a myriad of choices of these. Reading through the reviews makes them all seem like a crap shoot. Are there any you have tried that you would suggest to either get or avoid?

Thanks everyone, I have read a number of comments about adding the higher output lamps and then the headlight circuit was not able to handle the output and stuff melted. I like the idea of LED, has anyone installed them with success? And what do you use?
My truck did not come with fog lights so I only in the market for headlight options.

Last edited:
I thought the same thing on my 01. Replaced the hazed stock headlamps which were an improvement but still not what I'd hoped. So I upgrade to Beam Tech LED's w/fan in both my 01 Sport Trac and my 01 Mustang. I was about as happy as I would expect for a 20-year-old vehicle. I recently sold my 01 and bought a 2008 and did the fanless Beamtech's and they work well but do pop a dash code (beamtech is sending out the resistor to clear the code). Here are some comparison photos. The LED aren't as squared off as the Halogens (stock) but are much brighter and don't blind other drivers.

Attachments

• 20200915_175652.jpg
    20200915_175652.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20211201_232802320.jpg
    PXL_20211201_232802320.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 60
  • PXL_20211201_232752403.jpg
    PXL_20211201_232752403.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 59
There are a myriad of choices of these. Reading through the reviews makes them all seem like a crap shoot. Are there any you have tried that you would suggest to either get or avoid?
I would avoid LED lights for headlights. Founds out the LED bulbs I bought were not bright enough for Virginia and the state inspector failed them. I went to halogens with a slight bluish tint. Same with fogs. Amazon has tons of choices.

I would avoid LED lights for headlights. Founds out the LED bulbs I bought were not bright enough for Virginia and the state inspector failed them. I went to halogens with a slight bluish tint. Same with fogs. Amazon has tons of choices.
^+ Essentially same experience here; went from 65wHi\55wLo OEMs to 100wHi\80wLo Halogens for HeadLamps. Though for the Fogs, did find the Cree LEDs noted in previous post above;
brighter than OEM Fogs & have lasted now 7+ years. Forutunately don't have inspections here.

Basic problem with LEDs is their cost; some good technical options out there, but"Trial+Error" of finding those gets really expensive; a set of HalogenBulbs last 5~10years & cost 1/3 that of many of the LEDs on the market.
For "bragging rights", okay knock yourself out;
a "cheap bas'ard" like me just wants simple reliability, a low price, & a well lit road on a dark cold night.

... went from 65wHi\55wLo OEMs to 100wHi\80wLo Halogens for HeadLamps.
It's possible, though seems unlikely, that you could still run into inspection issues going this route. The lamps I have found that are 100/80 are marked "off-road use only". I don't live in an "inspection" state either so I don't know if they have a ThatsTooBright-o-meter.

It's possible, though seems unlikely, that you could still run into inspection issues going this route. The lamps I have found that are 100/80 are marked "off-road use only". I don't live in an "inspection" state either so I don't know if they have a ThatsTooBright-o-meter.
Interesting. Still using original factory fixtures with slight cataracts, so dont get complaints from oncoming drivers. Probably also a matter of properly aiming the fixtures. Really dont seem overly bright , certainly compared to some of the "arc lights" that are out there running the night roads.

Last edited:
Any of you that have installed the 100/80 bulbs had any issue with overloading the circuit or causing wire/connector melting issues?
I can easily install a relay if needed.

Any of you that have installed the 100/80 bulbs had any issue with overloading the circuit or causing wire/connector melting issues?
I can easily install a relay if needed.
So far good, 7yrs now.
About 3amps\2amps additional load going from 65w\55w to 100w\80w for the Hi\LoBeams.

Last edited:

Latest posts