Headliner coming loose at windshield.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I live in Canada. I have not priced the cost of a headliner replacement, but using my 70 years of experience, I'd fully expect it to be at least a thousand bucks here. You know, COVID and all that nonsense. Certainly not greed, heavens no.

Headliner cloth coming loose from backing at windshield. What would cause this? Is there a remedy ?
Mine is starting up front by the windshield for now. Just a little bit. I bought some screw in clear plastic things they used to hold furniture covers on cloth furniture back in the day. I used four of them to hold the part that was starting to come lose and it's holding for now. I'll use more if needed until it becomes a problem. It really isn't noticeable but the worse it gets, the worse it will look!

If you blast down the interstate (I-70 LOL) with your windows all down, the circulating air will suck the headliner away from the backing.
Twist in pins.jpg
I have removed the old vinyl type headliners like in a Camaro and reglued it successfully. I did it to a cloth one once with mixed results.

Good luck fellow Buckeye!!

Just a thought... remove it, peel back fabric, with a big paint brush spread on thin coat of fabric glue, press fabric back down, on the wrapped around edges use that iron-on hem stuff between fabric and backing. Bet it will never come loose again.

Probably what I would do, taking care not to melt the fabric during the ironing process.

Mine has come loose next to the windshield. My idea is similar. As soon as the weather is warm enough I'll mask the surrounding areas and use spray glue.

The above video looks great and is for an older Sport Trac but the results are great. There is another video that shows all the tricks for removing a 2007 and up gen Sport Trac headliner. It appears to be a little more complicated and says to remove the seats too to get it out. Probably because of the full upper and lower consoles. Here that one is"

Ford Explorer sport trac Headliner removal yes I show you how to actually get it out

I've just watched the video. Man, that is a long and detailed operation. Harking back to the comment about paying $300 to have this done, I repeat ... not here would you get away with that small amount.

Yes, I don’t believe the $300.00 amount would be realistic in my area and most of the U.S.! That price as a steal for the work involved IMO.

so the best way is removal and spray, the main cause is moisture, worked in a shop in oregon building vans, had so many customers with issue, usually around windshield or rear windows,i would suggest if in front, remove visors and any trim and drop front so you can spray or as blert mentioned try a brush, let it get tacky then stretch it and check for wrinkles then leave it over night and put back up, make sure you do not get any on material that is visible, only on top. it is not hard to do but get the right glue and let it get tacky first, any thing short of that will look bad, customers would try and tape and ruin material. i have only sprayed glue from pots but do not see why a brush would not suffice.

Latest posts