Heads

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apats77

Reaction score
Has anyone done their own valve job?
Tips?

also has anyone done head resurfacing using sandpaper on a know flat object and dragging the heads across it?

trying to do this all on a budget.

Full regasket, timing set, resurface heads and check for and address issues.

If there is not valve bowl damage. It is not hard to lap the valves to the seat. If the head needs resurfacing. I would leave that to a machine shop. The heads are aluminum and require a good finish. Know how much is removed as so you can determine head gasket thickness. I would keep compression ratio OEM.

How do I get a gasket to a certain thickness? I’ve never noticed a difference. I’m getting the Fel-pro top end kit from rock auto.

Depending on the amount of metal removed. You may not need diffrent gaskets. I would have the same amount remooved from both heads. If they arenot warped the surface might just need polished. If you didnt blow a head gasket.

I only know if enough is removed. Gasket thickness will matter. I would have to get advice from a profesional myself. Usually those envolved in the performance industry can help. Have a qaulity machine shop spec the head suface first. They should have the tools needed to check the surface.

I might have put my foot in my mouth. I didnt think about the fact, that. Our 4.0L motors are not popular. There may not be varied thickness gaskets, for our motors. Sorry if I got you scratching your head.
You can pose your questions to this web site below.

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/

I’m guessing the discolored head is the original head and the clean one is a reman head.

also my assumption is a cassette broke and the valves got bent on the original passenger side head and someone slapped a reman on it.

anyone have another explanation for it?

the head is stamped dec 2003. It’s a March 2 2004 motor.

the head is stamped dec 2003. It’s a March 2 2004 motor.
From the pics of the head still on the block. One is cleaner in the valve train. Very possible, a remanF. Less varnish from hot oil.
Other than that, all my life. I have known Ford to use left over parts. My first time was in 1968. My 1963 406 R-code Galaxie. Had some left over parts on it. Then other various Fords, I and kin have had. A cousin had a '60s era Mercury comet. To do a brake job, we had to buy parts 2yrs older.
My '04 Trac has a motor stamped in '03 almost 1 year before my '04 production date. Same motor though.

Latest posts