Heater fan is dead

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, obligations got in the way, and I never even started the project to replace the resistor. BUT ....

I was driving through the city yesterday and hit a small bump in the pavement. Lo and behold, the heater started up. (I'd left the selector knob engaged.) All speeds worked too. Suddenly I was reconsidering what might have been the reason it had quit in the first place a few months ago.

Regardless, this morning it was back to being completely dead. Not even a quick twitch of the blower to suggest an intermittent connection.

In light of this, I'm wondering what some of the experienced members might have to say about my plan to change the resistor.

Your resister is not bad, your fan is bad.

while the fan is on a slow speed, just punch the dam thing, if it runs, its the fan, if not then its the resister and wiring.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I still have a hunch that it's the resistor and that the resistor is intermittent. If I'm not mistaken, resistors are quite capable of that.

ITs not a real "Resistor" Well on the gen 1 anyway. Its just a large coil of wire different for each speed.... ( Your profile is not filled out so no clue what year truck)

I thought that at one time my signature line appeared under my posts. It now appears blank. Regardless, this is what's entered in my signature setup page:

"4.0 Liter V6 2005 Explorer Sport Trac XLT / Adrenalin, 4X4"

... so it appears that my Gen 1 would have the coil of wire you described.

Just a postscript to this:

I eventually found that the problem was BOTH the resistor and the fan motor. Both of those were royally screwed, and total replacement made it like new again. Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Latest posts