Hello from Iraq, need help with a front diff ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Beegle 2

Reaction score
Hey there from Iraq. I need some help with a front diff question I have. I have a 2004 S/T, I know the front diff is a Dana 35. I want to use an Auburn ECTED locker in the front. Well last night I called 4 Wheel Parts (yes from Iraq, and yes it was a pain to do) and talked to a Driveline Tec to ask about useing the locker in the front diff. Well here is were it got comfusing, this Tec told me that the Dana 35 my S/T was different from a normal Dana 35 and that there is no known locker unit, posi unit, spool, or anything that is on the market that will work in the 2004 S/T. Now to me that doesn't make any sence... if it is a Dana 35 then anything for a Dana 35 should work, right? I understand the axle set might be different, but the guts should all be the same. My question is has anyone replaced and upgraded their front diff unit? If so with what, and was there any problems? Does any one know if the Auburn ECTED locker for a Dana 35 will work? Any and all help and input will be greatfull...

Thanks from the big sand box!

First off, thanks for your trip to Iraq... I appreciate your service, milirary or civie... as far as I know the explorer front diff is a Dana 35 C, (reverse rotation).... there is in fact a locker (albeit non selectable) that I know is available for it and I believe it is a Powertrax (research Jon Johnstone, as he has one in his stock front diff.), Aussie Locker may offer one although I am not sure.

It is true that the Dana 35 IFS used in the Ex. and Ranger variants is unique to them and not used in other Dana 35's. I hope this helps in some ways. www.explorerforum.com (or www.explorer4x4.com as otherwise known) may help you more with a wealth of information and and a more powerful / deeper search mechanism. Good luck and God bless you in Iraq.