Hello from Michigan

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AngelaTC

Reaction score
Proud new owner of a 2001. I have always wanted one, but didn't want a car payment. Spotted one listed at a good price, so I pulled the trigger a few months ago. The engine was rebuilt after a timing chain incident, and it had less than 400 miles on it when I got it. The body is sound and relatively rust free....I love this truck so much! It was totally worth waiting for.

Welcome to the herd!
Lots of good experience & answers on these forums.

Welcome, ITs slow here but great info. Also the FB forum moves a bit faster. Search "The My Sport Trac Website" ANSWER all the questions and im still the admin there...

Welcome,
With the age of your 2001. Take a look at 3 things.
1) body mount cab bushings. Ford used a material that falls apart. Most of us that still have our Gen 1's. Had to replace them already. We used poly mounts.

2) Keep you eye on the T-Stat lower housing. They will blow out and leak. Replace it with a metal one.

3) If it still has the OEM type shocks on it. Replace them with a performance shock. The Ranhco RS 5000 series are good. You will better control in curves on the HWY, less nose dive on braking.

Not trying to scare you for your purchase. These are just issues ford could have done better. I plan on driving my '04, until repair and maintenance parts are not available. The Gen 1 is a good sport truck.

Get to be OCD about Oil+Filter changes, considering the notorious TimingTensioner\Guides.
In addition to the ThermoStat Housing & Shocks that Ed mentioned above,
watch for coolant leaks\cracks on the
~ Plastic Tanked Radiator
~ Plastic HeaterControlValve
~ Plastic HoseTee for the PCVCoolantLoop
If not already done, after 19yrs it's time to replace\service coolant system items
~ Hoses+Clamps
~ Pump+Fan+FanClutch+SerpentineBelt
~ HeaterCore+Radiator Flush Then Fresh50/50, BackWash Fins Thru Fan With WaterHose
Replace all Fluids+Filters: Air, Fuel, Tranny, TransferCase, Difs, Brakes, Steering...
Replace PCVValve.
Sight+Sound Inspect All VacuumHoses.
Clean MAF, ThrottleBody, IACValve, EGRValve+Tube.
Inspect\Replace SuspensionBushings+Links
Inspect\Replace BrakePads+Rotors+Drums.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts