Hello there and I have some questions

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hambrice

Reaction score
Greeting I'm Paul. I live in the New Orleans area and this is a great site with a lot of info. I'm about to buy an 01 Sport Trac 122,000 mile 4x4 FX4 which I just found out that they did not make one. The ST that I'm looking at is not in the best shape so I have some questions...

How hard is it to get the door code to unlock the ST?

The compass and front dome light are not working. Would that most likely be a fuse?

The rear window when it's just about to close cocks to the side a little. It still closes fine but is that something to worry about?

Does someone make a brush guard with a winch mount for it?

It has a sun roof. Can i still put a roof rack on it?

I know I'll have a lot more question later. Thanks for all the help!

:welcome: Hi Paul!

I have the '07 Limited, which is pretty different. The instructions for resetting the door code are in my manual. If you don't have yours, someone here probably does, and can post it.

The rest I'd better leave to others.

Welcome to the site.

The door code is pretty simple. I'll try to post tomorrow how to do so, or you can find it through the search. Too late to get into that tonight.

There are no brush guards with a winch mount. There are a few brush guard and bull bar options, though. No bumpers with winch mounts, or any bumpers at all for that matter.

You can put a roof rack on, but it will be really noisy if you open it.

Hope that's a start. I'm sure others will chime in.

Hi Paul, and welcome,

sounds like the rear window issue may be the main concern here, but i believe there is some info in the forum that might help, just search..

I have to say, this forum/site is a great community and if you do get the trac, you will receive a lot of support from this group. I can't count the number of times i've found the info i need here or people willing to help in a variety of ways.

:welcome:

The compass and front dome light are not working. Would that most likely be a fuse?

Check the middle button on the console. It toggle the display from English units to metric units to turning the display off. Maybe someone just pushed the wrong button!

However, if the front dome light is not working, it could be 2 things. The fuse or the bulb. Fuse is easy. Do a search on the bulb, and you will find it is not as easy...

:welcome:

Last edited by a moderator:
How hard is it to get the door code to unlock the ST? in 2001 one there was an early and a late model, post your MFG date and we can help you with the clarification on that. 01 Job 1, code is behind rear panel below the rear window on a sticker (door control module). on a 01 Job 2, is is on a sticker on the module behind the passengers glove box.

The compass and front dome light are not working. Would that most likely be a fuse? Yes, they can both be a fuse, or, they may just be turned off. It is a common mistake. They get turned off and the driver SWEARS he didn't turn them off. Just a matter of pushing the right buttons if so.

The rear window when it's just about to close cocks to the side a little. It still closes fine but is that something to worry about? It sounds like one of the guides (on the side of the window) may have lost some of the felt slide that the widow glides in. When you remove the panel (if you have a Job 1) for the door code, have someone operate the window while you can get a good look at things so you can see where and why it is leaning..

Does someone make a brush guard with a winch mount for it? Yes, you will have no issues finding this. Someone here will give you better info than me though.

It has a sun roof. Can i still put a roof rack on it? No problem at all. Mine came factory and I never had any issues at all. Had a flexible camping bag I used fairly often on top.

Coastie,

There ARE brush guards with a winch mount made for the ST? I don't remember ever finding one in my search. If there is one, I hope somebody will chime in with some info. I have pretty much succumbed to the idea of fabricating a whole new bumper with a built in winch to get what I really want. Perhaps, if there is one (I don't remember exactly), it just wasn't to my liking.

I know there are front mounted hitches that you could use a hitch mounted winch with. If having winching capabilities is all you care about, then that would work. I want the durability of a metal bumper and skid plate, or at least a full brush guard, so that option isn't really an option for me.

As far as I am aware, a front mounted hitch or a custom fabricated brush guard/bull guard/bumper are your only options for mounting a winch in the front. Somebody please correct me if I am wrong as this is next on my list of big projects.

WELCOME MAN !!!

Todd Z

:welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome::welcome:

Thanks for all the info. I have never been on a forum where on the first post had a stranger offer to meet up to help or had this many reply's. That says a lot about this forum. I hope on Monday to be driving my ST so if anyone want to buy an 03 Mustang GT let me know lol... I'll post some photos if it and I will have to get ya'll opinions on what I would like to do to it.

Someone just put FX4 stickers on it. There was only one actual FX4 Sport Trac and that was the 2005 that I built. :grin: I took most of the parts off of it and sold them when I traded it on my new one.

Welcome! :haveabeer:

Depending which year of FX4 Ranger you're comparing it to, FX4 or FX4 Level II, but at the very least you'll need a fuel tank skidplate, stiffer shocks, tow hooks, bigger tires, and a limited-slip rear.

If you want to go hi-zoot FX4 Level II, then add a Torsen or Detroit True Trac rear differential, adapt a Ranger front skidplate (do-able), Bilstein shocks, and chrome tow hooks.

I built mine to regular FX4 specs although I did get the tow hooks chromed. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts