HELP! - 2003 V6 Ford Taurus

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robert Barker

Reaction score
Alight gang since this is the MOST helpful car site I have even been to for my SportTrac (2001 Job 1) I have a question. My girlfriend has a 2003 Taurus with the V6, 25k miles (yep 25k). It has been running rough and so yesterday she took it to the Ford Dealer (not my choice but hers) and they said it was a bad plug wire and did some other "small maintenance items".... $650 later she leaves the dealer ship under the impression all is fix, it should have been for $650. Last night we go out in it to see if it REALLY is fixed. It runs just about perfect with the A/C OFF, but the moment it is turned on the what I will call sputters and chugging returns, seems to kick in and out as the compressor kicks in and out. What do the experts here think is going on here? Is it indeed a bad compressor or what diagnosis do you have?

I have told her she either will need to go BACK to the dealership and tell them that whatever they did for $650 didnt get it done or she will need to go see a local mechanic I trust MUCH more than the dealer.

As always thanks for any info any of you have!

Trac N Tennessee! (PS How about those Lady Vols!)

It's possible that the compressor bearing is shot and causing too much drag although when that happened on a Tempo I used to have, the compressor simply went up in flames :eek: and didn't cause the engine to run much different.

My wife has a 2003 Taurus also, occasionally the camshaft position sensor sticks and causes it to run rough but it doesn't seem to care if the A/C is on or not.

Other than that I'm out of ideas.

Johnny the compressor bearing does seem like a "good thought". I'll keep listening for any other ideas/suggestions.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:
Does this happen at all speeds or just at low or idling?

If it happens at greater then 10 MPH I would also lean in the direction of a defective A/C compressor. Short term, you can unplug the compressor as this will eliminate the clutch from engaging, thus, no drag from the compressor.

However, you do want to service it (replace it) as it is part of the defrost system and works year round even though it is not turned on at the switch in the dash...

Coastiejoe, good to hear from you I kind of stopped coming by the site as much as I used too...dont know why I guess other things got more important... :) It basically happens when the AC is turned on regardless of idle or driving, of course while driving it is more of a concern just due to the "feeling" it gives you not knowing if when it sputters if it is going to die or not, could especially be concerning when making a move across/through traffic, if you know what I mean. OK I will tell her to either play hard ball with the dealership in that they asked her for $650 and she still has the problem or go to the shop I trust and have they diagnos and fix it.

Robert

TNT,, I am not here as often either, but I try to check in every other day,, though I no longer own any of my Tracs, this site and the people here are great..

You have a legit concern, for example, in a turn through an intersection it is not uncommon to be applying no gas at all. If it decides to lock up at that time, either a belt will snap or burn or the engine will stall. Neither of which are desirable when your in a situation such as a turn...

Coastiejoe, I know you said unplugging the compressor was one way to eliminate the compressor/clutch from engaging another is just to keep the AC OFF until she can get it to a shop and have it looked at right? That way if it is a bearing then maybe the whole compressor WONT get trashed/burnt up, right? I am some what mechanically inclined but not a wizard either, that is why I am here!

Robert

Simply turning it off is not an answer, the compressor turns on an off for various reasons no matter where the switch it.

For example, if you turn on the windshield defrost it works so that you do not get humidity within the passenger compartment.

If nothing else, the PCM turns the compressor on and off at a set interval so as to lubricate the compressor and the A/C system which prevents leaks.

The only sure way to stop the compressor from engaging is to unplug it..

Yeah ok I knew if using the defrost or any AC functionality that would cause it to run, I was just wondering as long as she just used the options that do not run the compressor if that was almost as good as unplugging it. Hopefully she will have time to get it somewhere tomorrow or today and have it looked at properly.

Thanks for the help!

Robert

Latest posts