HELP! Enging Running too lean

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy Chase

Reaction score
Check Engine Light Came on last night. I got 2 codes from Auto Zone.

P0171 and P0174. Bank 1 and 2 running too lean.

The printout from AutoZone says it might be the MAF sensor, fuel problem or misfire. After the codes got retrieved I got some fresh gas, still having issues. When I am idling it shakes the whole truck, as soon as I step on the gas, no problem. It kinda sounds like air is escaping somewhere, but I can't find out where it would be coming from. Of course this has to happen the day before I leave for Up North. Anyone know what would be the culprit? :wacko:

the below is what Todd answered for another member asking question about same issue;

That could be the start of it, Normally you get both codes, not just 1...

Could be a dirty MAF or bad 02 sensor...

Check the elbow and clean the MAF first..

Todd Z

Most probably is the EGR elbow, start with that one, check for cracks.

If this is the one, replace it and you are good to go.

Sounds like you have more of a vacum leak than anything, that's why it goes away when you step on the gas. Usually with a bad MAF the idle quality is still acceptable but performance has drastically decreased. FWIW I have never in my professional career ever fixed a lean condition by replacing an oxygen sensor.

from the faq's

Category

OBD Codes

Frequently Asked Question

OBD Codes P0171 and P0174

Answer

This code is a common code to the Sport Trac. It is normally the elbow that is located under the throttle body. It tends to crack on the bottom and needs to be removed to examine it. You can replace it with a small piece of heater hose that is 5/8 inch. But heater hose is a quick fix. The hose will soften and collapse causing other problems. We recommend you purchase a PCV elbow or the replacement part form a dealer.

also, do a searh w/ 'elbow' in it, and you'll see pics of issue...

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know what size wrench to use on the bolt that goes into the EGR Valve, I know the smaller ones are 10mm. I tried to replace this at lunch, but my Cresent wrenches didn't open up far enough and the biggest open end I had was 21mm, which also was too small. My Haynes book didn't tell me either.

Also, has anyone replaced this w/o using the Motorcraft equipment? I think the brand I bought was BDW, they didn't have the Motorcraft in stock.

That code is associated with a broken rubber hose, NOT the EGR valve.... you dont need to remove the egr valve..

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

As you can tell, I haven't done much w/ my trac as its ran good and I'm second owner (bought it last November). Do you have a part number for this elbow hose? I'm guessing its a lot cheaper than the EGR Valve too...

Thanks Todd Z for piping in.

I know this is a late reply, but I was up north all weekend. On Thursday, I popped the hood and saw the elbow, it was almost completely melted on the top. It looked like gum that had been chewed about 2 hours too long. After about 15min, I got it all fixed, got the codes cleared and had a smooth trip up north...Unless you count the fish not cooperating.

Andy,

Which side is your oil cap on? Drivers or passengers?

That's another thing they changed on the '07's....I don't have one....just have some cap thingie that says 710 :huh:

With as many 'cracked elbows' there seem to be, you'd think Ford would have done some kind of recall on them.

Last edited by a moderator:
With as many 'cracked elbows' there seem to be, you'd think Ford would have done some kind of recall on them.

Recalls are only done on safety issues. An engine throwing codes is not considered a recall item.

Latest posts