Help from Todd Z please

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Grant

Reaction score
You replied to my earlier message regarding the 0401 code I got from my trac. I applied suction to the top of the egr and the truck did stumble. What does that mean?? I sucked pretty hard and only got air. What does that mean? Thanks for all of your help. If the EGR is bad how much should I expect to pay for one?

You sucked on the vacuum line and the truck stumbled, BUT did it recover fine once you stopped?

Also did you plug the truck side so it did not pull air??

Next with the truck off you have to put a vacuum on the valve and then put your finger on the line. Waite a min, then try to pull your finger off. IF your finger comes right off and there is no vacuum holding your finger on, the valve may be bad, IF there is vacuum, the valve may only be dirty or clogged.

Either case you may just want to replace it, OR remove it and clean it and the pipe..

Todd Z

First Buy a NEW EGR gasket. And honestly if your going to remove it, You might as well replace it... Less of a headech...

To clean, and good brake cleaner will do, and on the bottom of the valve are the passages, Clean tham...

Same with the tube, remove and clean the inside.. a good pipe cleaner may help.

Also clean the openings in the intake and the exhaust..

Todd Z

Hmmmm? aren't all of the above procedures something that should be done by a qualified Ford service technician with the proper tools and equipment. I mean, fooling with vacuum lines and EGR valves having to do with emision controls and polution, my God no wonder there's holes in the ozone. I wonder how the EPA would feel about us amatures tinkering around with things as sensative as emision controls, not to mention those Ford executives. I heard those guys are real sticklers when it comes to messing with electronics and what not.:rolleyes: