Help!!!! I'm stalling out!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

george linck

Reaction score
I haven't been putting too many mile on the ST lately, only driving it once about every two weeks.

Drove it a mile and parked for about 4 hours and it starts right up but stalls when I take my foot off the gas. Had a heck of a time getting it home. Any suggestion before I get it towed it in. Thanks, George

George,

Stalling while idling is caused by a dirty IAC (Idle Air Control) valve. Check the Members Projects section, there should be instructions on how to clean it.

...Rich

George,

This happened to me last week. It's the IAC valve. I had already cleaned it, but it didn't work. I had to get it replaced.

I am sure you will find that Rich is correct.

In some cases it is also caused by a vacuum leak as well. But in most cases as far as our Tracs go it is the IAC.

Yes, don't overlook the vacuum elbow....I had that stallling proble....replaced IAC, still stalled...then I finally got the Check Engine Light...and found the bad elbow...

George, have you had any work done, minor or otherwise, on your ST? If so, your problem could be, as Coastie and Tex said, vacuum related. One quick way to test for a vacuum leak is to let the engine run at idle, if it will stay idling by itself, or have an assistant hold the gas pedal steady at about 800 - 1,000 rpms, and armed with a can of regular cheap Autozone 99 cents a can carburetor cleaner, spray your engine starting at the top of the intake, and working your way outward in circles. If the engine surges (rpms rise) you have a vacuum leak. To isolate, continue to spray the area you were spraying when the idle surged, working your way inward in small circles until you find the leak.

This is just an inexpensive trouble-shooting strategy that you might take a stab at. If it doesn't yield any results, then I am with everyone else on the IAC. Good luck with it.