HELP? Missing Coolant

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven D

Reaction score
I seem to be loosing coolant, but I don't know where from. I filled to the cool fill line, started it up and let it run for about 15 minutes watching underneath the trac. Never saw a drip or drop of coolant. I put stop leak in the radiator, drove it for 30 minutes, no problems. Went to the movies last night with my wife and sister in law (saw Hangover, freaking hilarious), got home went to bed. Just went outside this morning to get the paper, and decided to check the coolant level, I could barely see any in the resovoir, yet nothing on my driveway.

I keep losing coolant, with no visible leaks. Any ideas?

Steven,

Need to check your oil, make sure it is not milky looking. If it is you might have coolant in your oil which mean you have a cracked head or internal engine problems. also check your heater core, make sure it is not leaking into your cab.

Look around the t-stat housing, if that leaks, it can get into the diaper ( noise deadener) in the engine or burn off and you will not see it on the ground..

ALSO has some one done a hose or something and just never filled it correctly ??

Todd Z

Thanks for the replies guys.

Just changed my oiil two days ago, it was black as night (as it had been about 7K miles since last oil change). Didn't notice any milky oil color.

Haven't noticed liquid in cab area.

Haven't had any mechanical work done on the engine, so no hose issue. I wiped down all the hoses so I could see if there was a leak, didn't notice anything.

Pardon my mechanical igornance, but how do I check the heater core? Also, where is the T-stat housing located where I can check the diaper noise deadner?

I've had the same issue on my '02... the fluid in the radiator stays at the same level, but the overflow tank empties, prompting me to think it is the hose or tank it self....

Aloha, I have heard about pin holes in a hose. They say to get the engine warmed up and then look under the hood while reving the engine about 2K. A small leak in the hose will spray out. It may be spraying while you drive and be closed in your garage. Good luck Ed

Tom, hadn't checked the tranny fluid, but I will.

Ed, I will do that as well.

On a side note, I did pop the thermostat out and that area that houses the T-stat was full of coolant. I went ahead and ordered a new t-stat, was only 12 bucks. I am going to put it in as soon as it gets here and hope for the best.

Thanks again everyone for the help on diagnosing. hopefully just my t-stat.

well it appears that there is nothing wrong mechanically with the trac, although I am replacing the T-stat as a precaution.

Once I noticed I had no coolant, I started filling it in the resovoir to the "cool level" fill line. Well apparently our motors (4.0 L V6) will hold about 1 jug of coolant, so as I would drive the trac the coolant I had poured in would cycle through and I kept thinking I was losing coolant. After filling one more time last sunday and driving around sunday and all day yesterday, I checked the level this morning and it was the same level as the last time I filled it. So I think I solved the issue of the missing coolant.

Thanks again guys for all the suggestions and fixes.

I've had a similar issue ever since I had the coolant flushed. The level in the radiator keeps dropping, but the tank stays the same. Top of the radiator, and it's down again the next day. No evidence of leaks, or coolant in the oil. Not sure why it's doing this...

check the sides, everywhere of the radiator, you have an 07, (early model = no roll down rear window) and there was a tsb or recall on the 07 radiators I think., my 07 developed a leak, but it showed up on the garage floor, ended up the side of radiator has slight crack, and was leaking after it cooled off. Mine was replaced under warranty but IIRC, service manager said there was a tsb or recall on this.

Latest posts