help one of my tail pipes fell off

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kaufman

Reaction score
Ok, so i noticed a few months ago that one of my tailpipes was hanging lower then the other, but I hadn't done anything about it. Yesterday I am driving down the NJ turnpike and I hear a scraping sound. It turns out that it was dragging on the road. I look under the truck and the pipe had totally rusted through. So now I have a dual exhaust with only one pipe coming out the back. How much is it going to cost me to replace the one pipe, or is it better to replace both, since if one was going the other will too.

Your pretty much obligated to go to a custom bender as there is no such thing as a card to follow as there was never dual exhaust on a Trac.

Tail pipes normally cost about 35 bent and installed for short pipes, 50 if they are long or complex.

If you go with stainless you can double that in most cases.

At the very least, go with aluminized as they have a very good life span vs. the cost of the product/job.

I wounder how the pipe is, if it fell off, more then likely the pipe is rotted out also.. you may not be able to replace the tip only, might need a new exhaust..

Todd Z

u dont have to go out and spend a bunch of money on stainless steel. in the first place, when it was hanging low u should have gone to a muffler shop to get the hangar welded back on (the thing that holds the pipe up). that would've cost u prolly less that $15, if that much. but i'll bet that the shop u went to to get it put on will put on another regular pipe for less than $35. the only reason why it "rusted' through is because on top of the added stress put on the point of the pipe where it started to bend, the heat of the exhaust gradually weakened the pipe to the point of breaking. just go back to ur shop and they can put on another pipe no problem.

Thanks everyone. I think i might have them keep the muffler, but move the exhaust to dual out behind the tires on the side. I like that look better. It all depends on cost though.