Help! Rear making noise.

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rafael F

Reaction score
:huh:Rear axle or Drivetrain making noise when I come to a stop. I was thinking it was the brakes but I was told the rear diff fliud maybe be the cause of the problem. Anyone know what it could be. I have an appt for a week from today to take it back to the dealer. Need info in case I'm told nothing is wrong.

First, look for signs of a leak in the rear end area. This could be the front seal, rear seal and or axle shaft seals. If there is no leak, then presumably, you would have fluid in the housing. Still not a bad idea to pull the plug to ensure there is fluid in there.

Then, you need to isolate it out a bit. Is it from the rear end for sure? Drive shaft universal? Yes, it could be your rear brakes as well. You need to do some digging to give us better info to help you better.

If it is while coasting, is it a whine or a grinding or a clunk ????

If it is a wining, it is the gear alignment, not much you can do with it, IT is not going to damage any thing, and not worth the $$ to repair...

Todd Z

Is it when your stopped and then you go slow at first, you hear a clunk? I heard that on my ST yesterday and am wondering what the hell it is......

I had the same problem, as it turned out it was the endlinks and the reason it was squeeking was becase when i stopped the truck shifted to the front and then when i came to a complete stop that truck shifted back. Ford replaced them under warrenty.

Just a thought.

CHRIS

The noise is coming from the rear when I stop. The brakes seen to hold and left go but the noise sounds like a rattling noise. I though it was rear window, but I close the window I heard the noise again. No leaks from the front or the rear.

Did you replace your front rotors or hubs lately?????

It almost sounds like it is the rear ABS kicking on and off. This is why I am asking about the front brakes. Had they been worked on or replaced lately?

Latest posts