HELP..shifting issue

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Kaufman

Reaction score
With the ever growing gas prices, I decided to use my xCal2 to switch my track back to 83 octane gas from the 93. Since doing this I have had an issue with shifting that when I pass 20-25 mph or about it reves upto about 3000-3500 rmps for about 20 seconds, then shifts to the next gear. Am I missing a gear, or is it just shifting late.

I have tried to bring the calibrations back to Stock, and then reset it for custom calibrations with the 83 Octane. I really don't want to bring it to ford, and have them charge me hundreds of dollars to tell me they don't know whats wrong.

It has been covered on here quite frequently. Everyone seems to have the same issue when going from a tune on the X-Cal back to the stock tune. It is either, the computer is trying to relearn the shift pattern, the computer needs reset, or the tune screwed up the tranny. I would try what Lil Red said, which is unhooking the battery for about 10 min. Hook it back up, and drive it for awhile. See if the "flare" goes away. If not, you may need the dealer or in my opinion, spend the money at a good tranny shop and have them put in aftermarket shifter packs. This is one of the reasons I don't have the X-Cal. I would love to have one, but with this being a recurring theme, I'll stick with my stock tune from the factory.;)

He's from Jersey they have all crazy types.

I went to one station there and they had

83,87,88,89,91,93,94,96 all with in 10 cents of each other.

Paul H

Well, I would NEVER run less than 87 in any ford product....

Todd Z