Help with '01 Tie Downs..

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toni Rader

Reaction score
I removed the stock bolts from my tie downs one at a time and replaced them with stainless steel bolts. I was able to remove all but the ones out of the last hook on each side (by tailgate). My fiance tried to get them out, but they were rusted in. He got one out and broke another one far enough down that we jb welded a cut off bolt on top with no problem. Now on to the other hook. One bolt was boken off. The other stock bolt is still in, but it has been loostened. If we try to remove the stock bolt, the tie down starts to shift. Is there a plate or someting inside the bed wall that will fall out if both of the bolts are removed at the same time? And how would you suggest removing the broken bolt? Thanks a bunch in advance for any advice you guys might have.

I did a search and found a post that I made months ago. Some people said the plate will fall, and some say it won't.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure about any plate, so I can't help there; but, to get the broken bolt out, you could try the JBWeld method again, or, the 'traditional' method using an Easy-Out. You have to drill a hole in the middle of the broken bolt, then screw in the Easy-Out and then turn to Easy-Out, it will dig into the broken bolt and remove it. A link below is an example of a bolt extractor set. Good luck getting it out, broken bolts are a huge pain.

Next time, or even with the remaining bolt, try some PB Blaster, you can pick it up at most any parts store. It's a penetrating lube that does wonders for rusted fasteners. With my working on older vehicles, it's invaluable and has saved me from many 'a broken bolt.

Last edited by a moderator:
IF you lay under the bumper of the truck and look UP into the bed you will see the metal plate that the bolts screw into... The plates are replaceable. There was a member that got the plates from ford and replaced his...

Todd Z

Yes Todd, that was me...I bought the parts from ford because i ran into the same problem with the last 2 bolts breaking off, but i didnt end up using the plates, which cost me $30 for 2... I used PL400 to fasten them to the plastic part of the bedliner. If youre interested in the parts shoot me an email i still have them.

Andy

Why would you want to remove your stock tie-downs on the 'Trac?

Wouldn't that be like Cindy Crawford having her "mole" removed?!?!

It's a defining charachter!:lol:

Thanks for the advice. I will have to go get some Easy Outs and try them. If that doesn't work I will probably try glue or JB Weld again. Thanks again. Oh, and Tracnblack, I'm just changing the bolts, the tie downs are stayin put.