HELP with factory sub

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Keller

Reaction score
How can i take out JUST the sub in the back? I got a new 6.5 Pyramid Sub i want to drop in its place. I took out the face screws around the sub but i cant pull off the cage or anything and i didnt want to break it. Any help would be great I would like to get this sub in by tonight if i can and i dont want to have to take off the whole box.

Thanks

Not sure if it will help, but, if you click on my wrench there is a projecy on how to install the factory sub. It may get you a answer o how to remove it...

I think you will be better off removing the entire box to replace the sub. This way you can work on it on a bench and get the speaker to seal up properly. What are the airspace requirements for the Pyramid Sub?? Will the factory box be sufficient?? Did you research the ohms the factory amp puts out and the ohms the new sub will accept?? If you are off on those calculations, it can make the sound worse. Airspace is the number 1 thing that can make or break a good sounding system.

A1cntrler,

ok popped off some of the threshold behind the seat just enough so that i could unscrew the bolts holding the box in. then i leaned it forward so i could look in the back and there was another bolt holding the sub to the box and i removed that. now im able to take the sub out of the box. from my factory sub there are 4 wires coming out. a red, black, blue and white and there is only a red and black hook up to my new pyramid sub so i have to figure out a way or an adapter to wire that. my pyramid sub has 4 ohms and i dont know how many my amp puts out. i did a search on the factory sub and someone was talking about having to get a double voice coil over or something if i can remember so im going to research more on that.

I would have to say this: When I took my factory 10" sub out of my Adrenalin there were 4 wires coming out from the stock sub. Course, knowing there should have been only 2. I looked at the back of the OEM sub and it says 50w + 50 w. So another words, all 4 wires makes 100watts.

You just need to figure out of the 4 wires, which 2 are power and which 2 are ground, so to say. Then take the 2 that at the same, and put them together, same with the other 2. Then, there ya go.

Yeah I think the factory sub is a dual voice coil. So I think that if you hook up one set of wires it should work. Someone correct me here if im wrong. You might want to check that that sub fits the enclosure. When I measured mine I thought it was 6" not 6.5".

how about we scratch this whole thing.. i got the sub all taken out, wires off and then i went to work on the Pyramid and im not an egyptian. i twisted the 2 ground and the 2 power wires together and placed them on the SINGLE VOICE COIL pyramid sub with a speaker wire. I played a song it was coming thru but not as loud. It ruined my sound system i cant put my factory sub back in because its blown so now i have no bass and i have to jack up the volume just to hear my music and then i risk blowing my speakers. if anyone attempts this use a dual voice coil aftermarket sub or it is pointless. Now im attempting to find a dual voice coil aftermarket sub and im not finding anything. what a flipping day

haha, sorry bout that. when i took out my factory 10". i just took it out. it wasn't blown or nothing. i just felt like installing a rockford 8" that i had laying around and it play pretty good.

shvdnlayd,

its not ur fault i took the risk. you had a factory 10" sub? i want to get a new system but im so afraid of taking out my stock head unit because its the Pioneer 6disc and i just need to keep looking around at everybodys system.

Yeah, my '04 Adrenalin came with a 10" under the rear driver side seat. I plan, very soon, to ditch the 8" Rockford, and install 4 JL Audio 10w1v2s. I plan to put one in the Adrenalin sub enclosure, one in a Probox, and if I can get a dual 10" enclosure from JD, then 2 more behind the seat.

I already have ditched the factory Adrenalin Pioneer HU and put in an Alpine IVA310.

And I have figured out where to mount my amps for the PPI PCX 440 and PPI PCX 2400, but will wait til installed to share.

Latest posts