Help with Parts for My Mazda

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nelson Atwell

Reaction score
I am looking to put my Madza 3 back on the road after a year of having it parked. The diagnosis is that a crankshaft, two piston rods and a bearing kit will be needed to rebuild the engine. These parts aren't available in Poland, but they found a used engine for $2500, but they currently don't know the condition of that engine.

I prefer to rebuild the existing engine, since there could be some problems bringing the car back to the US if the engine number isn't the same. However, if the cost of rebuilding is too high I will just have to deal with the re-import issues or sell the car here. I already had six offers from people wanting to buy it, even broken.

Does anyone here know a place I can find these parts? I would need to ship them to Poland, so I need a place that ships overseas.

Nelson, have you eyeballed the engine yourself? I find it hard to believe that if you need a crank and rods that there wasn'tany damage done to the block. Doe the car have to be running to send it back to the states ? I'm sure you could replace the whole thing for less than $2500 back here.

ss

Buzz,

It will cost me at least $1500 to ship it back to the US. I would have to pay that price a second time to bring it back.

I have also thought about the engine block. They say they can machine the block, but they are unsure if they can machine the crankshaft. They said there is a chip about 2 mm deep, and that they would need to machine the otherside so it would be balanced and not wobble in the engine after it is rebuilt. They said some Japanese engines have tolerances so tight that the cranks can't be machined.

I am no mechanic, so looking for myself wouldn't be any help. I could go over and take some pictures though, if anyone here is able to help from a distance using that sort of information.

I am thinking that buying the used engine may be my best option right now. However this is a european engine. They say it is identical to mine, but then when they try to attach all the US components to it, I am not sure all the hoses, bolts, etc. will fit. I just have to trust they know what they are doing. I'll only have a four month warranty after they finish the job.

Any help/advice is appreciated. I know where my tax refund is going this year. :(

Are you still paying for this vehicle even though it is out of service? Might be time to sell it, cut your losses and find a nice Trac when you get back. (there's a song in there somewhere)

You're at the mercy of your local mechanics wih no guarantees and possible re-import probs. Do they smog-check cars coming back into the country by private individuals?

ss

Nelson,

Where did you buy the Mazda, in the states or over-seas?

If in the states, the only federal law is that you replace the engine with a like engine and with like emission standards at the time the engine / car was produced. In most cases, this means you need an engine of the same year or newer as emissions seem to increase each year.

Get me the year and engine size and lets see what is available.

I am guess closer to 1000.00 for a VERY GOOD used engine here in the states..

Ok,,, I see you have a 2006, but what engine do you have?

2.0L (VIN F & G), low emissions

2.0L (VIN F & G), std emissions (Fed)

2.3L (VIN 3 & 4), low emissions

2.3L (VIN 3 & 4), std emissions (Fed)

Just as an example, here are some prices on the 2.3 with Federal emmissions.

Engine

Mazda 5 FWD,FI,2.3,AT 15K,GREAT RUNNER 15,318 A 089111 $1500

2008 Engine 944L1501 $1150

2008 Engine 944L1502 $1150

2006 Engine 944J1306 $1050

2007 Engine (2),-2-375

2006 Engine 944J1306 $1050

2007 Engine (2),-2-375 944K1306 $1050

2007 Engine 944K1302 $950

2007 Engine 944K1302 $950

Coastie,

I have the 2.3L, std emissions (Fed). I am wondering what the shipping and import duties would be. Something shipped that heavy from the US could cost a bit. It surely won't come through our APO. :lol:

Do you know if I can just get the crankshaft? It would be a lot easier to ship.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nelson,

I thought you said the Mazda was stolen. I assume you were mistaken and I missed the correction or the car was recovered and I missed the correction.

Tom

nelson; check out www.mazda3forums.com, I go there to learn about my 3 as well, tons of info and sponsors there to help you out. good luck another good site is www.mazdas247.com but not as friendly as its for all types of mazdas.