Help with Towing

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Maguire

Reaction score
Hey everyone so I bought a 2010 sport Trac a few months ago and I just realized the towing capacity isn't all the best. Is there anything I can do to my truck to improve towing capacity? The reason is because I bought a race car and I need enough towing for the car and trailer and some parts. It's a long shot I know but does anybody have any suggestions?

Yeah, my suggestion is that either the Trac or the race car goes. There's nothing you can do to alter towing capacity of what Ford designs into their cars and trucks. Hook something up over the tongue or GW limits and you're asking for trouble. If you're really into racing then I recommend you trade the Trac for something that can handle your race rig, like a 3/4 ton (or greater) chassis with a diesel engine - Dodge Cummins, Chev/GM Duramax, Ford Powerstroke.

i have towed my camper 400 Plus miles with my trac round trip at 65-70 mph. i had airshocks and weight distribution on it the total weight trac and camper was 10200lbs. my trac handled good but u can feel the wind and big rigs passing just take ur time and enjoy the ride.

What kind of terrain will you be doing most of your towing in? It makes huge difference. I have an 18 foot enclosed trailer that I use very occasionally (like once a year) to haul one of my classics. That includes a 68 Cougar, 70 Mach 1 and 99 Mustang Cobra. All of those vehicles weigh around 3700 to 3900 lbs. When you add in the weight of the trailer I am easily exceeding the rated towing capacity of my V8 '07 Trac. I also have oversize tires on the Trac which was a problem when towing that much weight. Before I changed all four shocks and springs to Rancho Quicklifts I had a rear tire rub issue when towing or hauling anything over about 500 lbs in the bed. If you are using stock size tires that should not be a problem. My trailer is a Covered Wagon V-nose with torsion bar suspension and it tows like a dream. Very straight with little or no problem with wind buffeting. The only time I wish for something bigger than the Trac is in hilly terrain. Even with the V8 it just doesn't have the balls to pull that much weight up steep grades especially where the speed limit doesn't allow getting much of a run at the hills. Running near redline at 45 mph for even a minute or two is not fun, believe me.:sad:

You never mentioned how much your trailer, race car and parts weigh? Depending on what kind of race car you have, most are designed to be light weight...so it will often have glass removed, interior removed, and other heavy parts removed, or replaced with light parts, etc.

I believe the Gen-2 Sport Tracs have less towing capacity than the Gen-1's, but without knowing the total towed weight, distance, terrain, and speed, it's impossible to say if your Sport Trac can handle it even with suspension upgrades?

...Rich

Latest posts