Help with Xcal2

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Averion

Reaction score
I have an Xcal2 for my F150 but it is my understanding that I could use it to check codes as well. My wife's ST has a check engine light on and I want to swing by her work to pull the code when I get out of work in about an hour.

Question is do I just plug the Xcal into the port or do I have to turn the key to the ON position as well. I don't have my instructions with me so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the help. I suppose it won't hurt anything if I turn the key to the ON position if I can't get a reading with it OFF, well hopefully anyway:D

UPDATE

Figured it out, was pretty simple actually:D Came back with codes P0171 and P0174. Looked it up and said it is System Too Lean Bank 1 and 2. How do I go about fixing these codes? Trying to avoid the dealership since the ST is out of warranty but I must say I am very mechanically challenged!:lol: If it sounds easy enough, I may try fixing it myself. Oh, I also tried clearing the codes but it said codes can't be cleared, does that sound about right for these codes?

Thanks in advance for any info or help you all can give me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is your issue....

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

And,,, before you look at it say, "It's fine, there is nothing wrong with it". You will need to look at the bottom of the hose, that is where it will be cracked.

What has happened is, the hose cracked and is letting too much air into the left bank. Hence, the too lean code as the air to fuel ratio is no longer correct. Many just replace the O2's as they assume they are defective. In reality, they are reading perfectly and do not need replaced.

Thanks so much Coastiejoe! I can't tell from looking at the pic, but what side of the engine bay is that elbow located at? :) Again, I am not handy when it comes to mechanical stuff but am willing to try. Is this easy to replace and do you by chance have a part number for that? I found some part numbers that Todd listed some time ago in a different post and the pic shows an L shaped bar with two elbows attached to it, one on each end.

Again, thanks so much for the help!

What has happened is, the hose cracked and is letting too much air into the left bank.

Actually it lets too much air into the lower part of the intake manifold, thus leaning out the entire engine...;);)

Also I believe the only Xcal that can scan codes is the 9100 blue one.

It will not hurt any thing by plugging it in another ford....

Todd Z

Joe, the picture shown is located to the right of the transmission dipstick if your standing up front reaching in. Todd has listed these part numbers many times. You can order it around $30.00 I believe.

Motorcraft # KCV - 190

NEW Ford # 4L5Z - 6758 - HA

OR

OLD Ford # 4L5E - 6K817 - HA

These are the part numbers that I have found listed in other threads. Which one of these do I need to buy?

Thanks so much guys!

I wouldn't mess with the old Ford#. Looks like anybody that sells motorcraft can order the KCV190 for you. I haven't ordered one yet. Mine hasn't shot craps yet. Maybe someone that has replaced theirs lately can help you further. I am guessing the new ford# you can get through the ford dealership?

I used to be able to get these parts for about $18 my cost,

I can look into for you If you like???

Todd Z

Stu,

The rubber for the elbows seems to be better and thicker than the original....

The other thing to prevent this is to change you PCV valve at 40K..... It will help prevent the oil from rotting the rubber...

Todd Z

Actually I just called my dealer and ordered 3 of them....

I gave him the old number and the computer automatically told them the new number...

Todd Z

Just wanted to say thank you again for all the help you all have given me. I called the dealer and gave them the KVC-190 number and they have it in stock so hopefully by tomorrow I will have my wife's ST fixed.

That's what is so great about this site, even someone with no knowledge about mechanical stuff like me can get help and be comfortable with the quality of advice to go ahead and tackle the job themselves.

Thanks so much guys!!