HELP!!!!

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee Gleason

Reaction score
I replaced the cruise control buttons and wires. Pulled the steering wheel to do this. Put it all back together and when I placed the negative cable back on the battery the horn blows. I cannot see where I didn't put it back like it came off. Please give me some info in what might be wrong.

OK, I don't know if I read it here or somewhere else, too much readingo_O but someone said when they installed the CC wires the ones on the on button were upside down and that caused the horn to honk continuously, so I took it apart (again) and turned the wirse over in the connection and the horn stopped honking. I still don't have cruise control so I'll try the switch on the master cylinder next. If that doesn't work I'll just pretend the Trac never had CC:rolleyes:

When I replaced my buttons. The cruise stoped working. I unpluged the master cylinder switch and jumped it on the harness, works now. I dont suspect the switch, 'cause it worked before the new buttons.
It still drops out of cruise when I tap the brake pedal. the underhood switch, must have been a redundent safety.
I have had it bypassed for 2 years. Cruise works just as it should. I wonder if there is something different in the replacement button electronics.

When I replaced my buttons. The cruise stoped working. I unpluged the master cylinder switch and jumped it on the harness, works now. I dont suspect the switch, 'cause it worked before the new buttons.
It still drops out of cruise when I tap the brake pedal. the underhood switch, must have been a redundent safety.
I have had it bypassed for 2 years. Cruise works just as it should. I wonder if there is something different in the replacement button electronics.
I bought the Trac Dec of 16, cruise never worked. I just replaced the buttons and wiring and still dosn't work. A little different scenario. What do you mean you jumped it on harness?

You can look under the hood for the cruse module and see before you go changing parts... also the cruse cable is known for wearing and falling off and the master cylinder switch is known for failing.

Some one could have switched non proper parts before too.

There is a switch on the the master cylinder. Works from fluid pressure, to drop the cruise when braking. I unpluged it and made a jumper for the harness.
The module Todd is refering to, is. where the cruise cable is comming from.

If the cable isn't broken then it is most likely the switch on the master cylinder. It's inexpensive enough and easy to change. That's where I'd start

Hey Lee I had a thought today, do you happen to still have the on/off cruise control buttons? If it isn't cracked and should still work since it was your master cylinder switch which was the issue, I'd buy it off you. Mine is loose and needs to be replaced

SCDS recall may only apply to 2001-03 ST's, but call your Ford dealer or check Vindecoderz site. This a very serious recall, and there have been engine fires with the vehicle parked and not running. Safety recalls are required to be done by dealers regardless of the vehicles age.

http://www.phila.gov/fleet/Warranty Recalls/Recall 09S09.pdf
https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/Ford

Motorcraft SW6349
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...h+&+relay,cruise+control+release+switch,10743

Regarding recalls, how do I know if my vehicle is owed, or has received, service for a recall? Should I just enter the VIN at one of the above websites mentioned?

Latest posts