Here We Go Again

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blksn8k

Reaction score
Every year when the apples start to ripen one of these guys shows up. :grin:

07bf9cf474224cb2968b7e9ef9d5641b.jpg

I guess bears like apples too !

Maybe if you give him some baskets they will pick your apples for you, for a small fee...say a bushel of apples? :bwahaha:

...Rich

One of their favorite foods is roadkill. I doubt a green apple would phase him. :rofl:

He already found one anyway.

8b521a526fd775786c3d3525cc5d597e.jpg

Roger, you're in Ohio too? Is that Clinton County? We don't have them in the city.....I hope. Just possums, raccoons, skunks and coyotes.

How would you like to go outside at night and bump into that guy?

Maybe if you could color some green ones red. You could give him a belly ache

That's funny Eddie!

Last edited by a moderator:
'07, I also have property in PA which is where those photos were taken. My house in Ohio is in Summit County, near the town of Clinton.

If you look close I think the trail camera actually caught that green apple in mid drop.:grin:

Pretty good pictures from the trail camera! He looks very happy like he found his heaven!!

As long as he doesn't start climbing the trees and breaking off limbs. I also have pics of a porcupine climbing one of the trees to get at the apples. When he came down he was inside a cage and surrounded by deer. Pretty funny. I honestly enjoy seeing pictures like this or I wouldn't have the camera.

The camera is a Spypoint Solar and only a couple of months old. Pretty cool that it has a solar panel and doesn't require batteries although it will hold six AA's as backup.

Here's one of some REALLY nice bucks. Needless to say, I can't wait for archery season to open. :grin:

264d9d5b7af60d5a3b3b6b3fd1289e18.jpg

Chris, I was never able to get anything I wanted to shoot close enough during archery season. Saw a bunch of small bucks but, again, nothing I wanted. I did shoot a decent seven point on the first day of the PA firearms season. He would have been an eight but he had a broken point on his left side. He was definitely not the biggest buck I had photos of but I'm happy.

Here is a photo of him from Aug, still in velvet.

[Broken External Image]:

Here is a photo of the European mount I did of his rack.

6a25549353c78838f2f966f24bd35e7e.jpg

I know how that goes! Just the way it is some times. Sill a good PA buck, I hunt a lot of state woods in PA...I would have a hard time passing that buck up. You did a really nice job on the European mount, I have always loved those.

Where exactly are you at in PA. I used to hunt in Sullivan County, lately I have been going to Jim Thrope.

PS - I was happy you saw this, it was kind of a dead thread haha.

CHRIS.

How did your season go?

I kinda cheated on the mount. That's actually one of those fake skulls...does away with the messy part, if you know what I mean...

I'm in the southwest corner of Clearfield County. My property is about fifteen miles from Punxsutawney, home of the weather groundhog. Not exactly an area known for big deer. I try to provide some decent habitat plus one of my neighbors leases his fields to a local farmer. I would like to think all that helps but who knows? Antler restrictions are no doubt helping as well. Just letting them grow up and reducing the overall size of the herd has probably made the biggest difference.

This year was a little different what with the farmer planting oats this year and harvesting them before archery season started. Most of my stands are set up to intercept deer moving to and from daytime bedding areas on my property to feed in the neighbor's fields. We also had an unbelievable acorn crop all of which made it hard to pattern bucks in the early part of the season. On top of all that about the time archery season ended is when the rut was just getting started.

Excuses, excuses, right? The good news is I will be making a big pot of venison stew for Christmas. :grin:

I thought it might have looked like one of those kits from Cabelas, I would have done the exact same thing. Plus, it really does look great. Awesome job!

That's awesome, I know of the location. That's why we hunt, all the challenges (and excuses we get to use haha). I?m pumped you were able to get it done though, even with all the hiccups. Always nice to put in the work and to have everything pan out. Now the planning stages of next year starts already!

I felt some of the same heart aches. We had a great acorn crop this year and the deer pattern ability was pretty difficult. With work, I was only able to sneak out one extended weekend. I did pass on a fairly scrappy 5 pointer 3 days in a row. I do head out to WY with my father every year for a week. If I could, I would move out there in a second, it is like hunting for the first time again. I saw a TON of deer this year during the peak rut. More does and smaller bucks than I could count. Most of the bigger bucks were hunkered down with hot does (my thoughts). I was able to take a fairly decent buck (in my eyes at least) later in the week.

Do you do any small game or waterfowl?

My guess is that the pixel count on your photo is too high. This site apparently has very limited bandwidth. What I do is open the photo in Paint where I reduce the pixel count to about 15% of the original. After saving the photo with that change you should be able to upload it to your library without any errors.

You can also reduce the size of the photo if you use the "Scale image" option during the upload process. Either way, you probably need to reduce the size of the photo by a substantial amount.

Once you do that you need to open the photo in a separate browser session by clicking on the new image in your library. Then copy the web address and close that session. Then go to your new post and pick the second icon from the far right below the message text. That will add {img}{/img} to the body of your message (I changed [ to { for illustrative purposes). All you need to do then is paste the copied web address for the photo in the middle of the img data right between ] and [.

Do you do any small game or waterfowl?

I might take a rimfire out for squirrels once or twice a year but that is about the limit of my small game hunting these days. I do have a serious obsession with turkey hunting but for some odd reason PA considers wild turkeys as big game. I actually shot one with a bow this fall. I stopped counting the number of birds I have taken years ago but that was my first with a bow.

Waterfowl hunting was never very popular in this area. When I was a kid you were lucky to see one duck on the river all season and that hasn't changed much. The Canadas that fly over during fall migration are too high to shoot at ethically and I don't know anyone around here who owns a goose call. :grin:

I think I got it, woot woot - haha. If they don't load on the page, check out my library.

I past life I had 2 GS pointers, I really enjoyed working with them out in the field. When I have the time, I would like to get another. I am hoping within the next 2 years.

That is awesome, my father loves Turkey hunting. Quite a feat taking one with the bow, you should be proud!

baeb847b335e1e86a0bef86ed393674a.png

23622d498b950b3c6bce132d08931809.png

Latest posts