Hesitation and exhaust "popping"

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Caldwell

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

My truck is having a very slight hesitation issue, I notice it in the exhaust note under acceleration. There is no codes, but the solid exhaust note is interrupted by popping like if you were to down shift and let the engine slow the truck. this only happens for a second but its defiantly noticeable. I hope I made it clear enough, it's hard to explain. I changed the fuel filter 66,000 kilometers ago. I'm thinking fuel filter or fuel pump, because of the lack of codes. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

Could be a bad plug or plug wire. It just hasnt thrown a code yet. Have you changed those yet? If not I would. I never run the plugs and wires for 100K, wven though they say you can.

I changed those (plugs and wires) with the fuel filter everything was done at 100,000 kilometers. I now have 166xxx kilometers on the truck. I can't replicate it in neutral, and it doesn't do it while cruising. I have an sct tuner, but I don't think that would cause problems now I've had it for about a year. Would a plug cause the intermittent miss fire?

Thanks, Mike

I changed those (plugs and wires) with the fuel filter everything was done at 100,000 kilometers. I now have 166xxx kilometers on the truck. I can't replicate it in neutral, and it doesn't do it while cruising. I have an sct tuner, but I don't think that would cause problems now I've had it for about a year. Would a plug cause the intermittent miss fire?

Thanks, Mike

I've encountered similar symptoms on other vehicles that had air leaking into the intake system from cracked hoses, bad gaskets, etc. On a vehicle with a carburetor, it would be either the gasket between the carb and the intake manifold, or something leaking into the manifold. I have never experienced this problem with any of my fuel-injected vehicles, but I don't see why it couldn't happen.

I lost plugs at 30K miles on ST's..... you have 66,000K on the new wires and plugs.....

I would start there...

ALSO the XCAL can be programed to shut off certain codes meaning it will BLOCK the CEL from coming on with certain codes....

Todd Z

Thanks for you helpful input everyone. Im going to try resetting to stock to see if I can force a code out of it, then I'll probably go with plugs and wires then go from there.

Thanks, Mike