Hey Todd, I still want to know

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreman

Reaction score
I'm still looking for an answer on the question posed earlier in another post about a $400-$800 repair that can save our transmissions. Anybody have an answer? I think ToddZ was the one that said it. What about it, Todd?

My Trac has almost 130,000 miles. The transmission has started to lag slightly on the 2-3 shift, but a medium throttle run up through the gears seems to clear it up for a little while.

Dreman, I just had mine in the shop for a 2-3 slip, slipping passing gear downshifts, and getting stuck in 3rd. For $475, they replaced the valve body gasket (which was blown) and for good measure they replaced the EPC solenoid to ensure adequate pressure.

Larry hit it on the head and add a new solenoid pack, not just the EPC...

Todd Z

Dreman, you can try to see if a local tranny shop can get you the updated parts, but most want to do a complete rebuild ( and then they may not replace the solenoids, dummy's)

Or they want to do the work..

Todd Z

Dreman, Unless you are experianced with pulling and reinstalling the valve body. I would leave it to a shop to do. Pulled and upgraded a few in my day. It was a learning experiance. The solenoids will be easy. The valve body gasket can be more involved. Check balls and such that have to be in the correct circuit.

I haven't pulled one since 1987, when I rebuilt the C6 in my Thunderbird. I've done a few valve body upgrades and shift kits. All on domestic rear drive v8 transmissions like Turbo 350's, Chrysler 727 and 904, and Ford C6's.