hid projectors??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan Lipinski

Reaction score
hi i have hids on my sport trac but i would like to do a projector project but i need a little help, i found these that are easy to install but im not sure if i can use my hids in them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PROJE...5%7C240%3A1309

mine are 4500k 55w, i dont want to buy these and find out im stuck with the 6000k 35w

can anyone help me or share similar projects

Evan, it would really help if you would update your member profile to let us know what generation truck, motor size and year.

1) I didn't know true HID bulbs were made at the 4500K level. They sound like regular halogens that burn a bit hotter than normal. Real HID kits include ballasts and a few relays. They also start at 6000K heat range and go up from there. They are also, irregardless of heat range, only 35Watt bulbs.

2) I've seen projector beam headlight assemblies only for GenI Sport Tracs(2000 - 2005)

I've been using true HID bulbs for over a year now, and only recently put in a set of the "Bi-Xenon" bulbs that move to give a true Hi/Lo beam pattern. My first were the 6000k bulbs and are insanely white. I have the 8000k bulbs now, very white with a little blue color, and they are incredible. Shop around to make sure you get exactly what you want. Bob

ok i updated it, they are hids defiantly not halogen. When i bought them they said they were 55w, i got them from sharp hid. i wanted to keep the 55w in a projector but i don't think i can with the ebay projectors but do you think just having the projector will make the 35w lights brighter than the 55w in the stock housing.

Thanks Evan, I've never seen any 55watt HID bulbs?? Projector beam headlamp assemblies have a much more defined beam pattern. It concentrates the light into a little more narrow beam, so that edges of the beam aren't a little "muddled". I think the 6000k HID bulbs would be the way to go, IMO. Bob

Bob C

You need to learn a little more about HID's. Most Hid's that come in vehicles from the manufacturer are 4300k. This provides a good overall bablance of light output. As you start going up in temp range the light starts to get more blue. IMO anything over 6000k is a waste, it looks cool but that's about it. As far as 55w kits go they have been around for years now

Projector kits have a much more narrow beam pattern, but do project fuather down the road.

I had a 35watt kit in my car and had to add a 35watt HID fogs to help light up the outer edges of the road way.

Not the safest pattern on dark, unlit rural roads, when your doing 80.

On the ST I installed a 35/55watt 6000k kit, with the slim digital ballistics.

They don't move, like bi-xenon, or have the dual element bulbs. They switch from 35watt's on low beam to 50watt on high beam.

The normal 35watt bulbs are readily available, but the 50watt bulbs are a little harder to find and cost more.

Also the 55watt bulbs are a bit longer.

Thanks and sorry, I stand corrected. I didn't consider stock factory bulbs into the equation. Should have indcated that I was refering to aftermarket bulbs. I am humbled, Bob

Latest posts