High Temp Indication

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
My 2010 STA with 4.6 dash light comes on. engine heads are not hot, checked with temp gun at 200 F. Dealer replaced temp sensor and still indicates hot.
Scanner shows 260 F but again not to touch or with temp gun. Bad wire to ECM or bad ECM? Dealer can't figure it out. Only has 86000 on it. Help

My 2010 STA with 4.6 dash light comes on. engine heads are not hot, checked with temp gun at 200 F. Dealer replaced temp sensor and still indicates hot.
Scanner shows 260 F but again not to touch or with temp gun. Bad wire to ECM or bad ECM? Dealer can't figure it out. Only has 86000 on it. Help

AC cuts out then the water temp high light comes on then goes into limp in mode.
Shut engine off and restart after 30 sec and everything is normal. ????

Disconnect battery.
Remove the 3 connectors at ECM. Inspect and clean as needed.
Reinstall connectors, clean battery connectors, and hook up.
If that dosen't help, remove battery and inspect wiring harness under battery box.

One place you may want to look at is under the air box, where it sits on the passenger fender. There is a large wire harness is routed under the air box that can get pinched and wear after time. I had a wire worn completely through in this area at about 50k miles.

Under the battery is also another harness that gets damaged...

BUT did you replace your thermostat ?? Mileage means NOTHING...... its 12 freaking years old !!! flush coolant and replace thermostat....

Check for leak on top of the radiator... check coolant level when COLD in radiator, not the bottle....

I'm not a dummy Todd as YOU insinuate. We are on here to help each other or so I THOUGH!!! Replaced thermostat, flushed, coolant is full in radiator when cold. I have also cleaned ECM terminals and battery terminals. Will check harness where others have suggested.
Thanks everyone

Not there to trouble shoot with you. I have got bad new sensors off and on.
Last yr it was a new oil pressure sensor for a Ford escape. Worked fine for about 2 hrs. Then it crapped out.
Just an Idea!
I don't think Todd was belittling you. Only questions about what did not say, you have looked at.

A few years back @ about 40k miles. My T-stat was making my engine temps yo-yo. I changed it, I put the new one in a pot of water with a thermometer. I got bit years back with a bad new one.
When I tested the old one, it was doing exactly what thought. Opening a little and slowly closing, then open again. Even @ 212F. Like yo-yo.

Thanks. When the temp light comes on I will turn off engine and restart 30 sec to 1 minute later and temp gauge is back to Norman. With a temp gun every spot on the engine is around 200. Have also replaced temp switch (what a pain). also reads computer reads like the gauge. will start looking at wiring then replacing ECM. Thanks again for your help

My 2007 V8 Sport trac was doing the same thing when it was a year or two old (on the way back to Ohio from Disney World with my wife, daughter and grandbabies in the truck). I could shut the engine off and let it sit a few minutes and it would be OK for a while and then happen again a month later. After the second time (in town) I took it to the dealer under warranty and they couldn't get it to act up for them. Tough titties for me! I had been on the forum and the thermostat was recommended as the culprit by forum members! I told the dealer to replace it and they said "But FORD will not cover that"!! I said that we had to do SOMETHING so I paid to replace it. That cured the issue and no problems ever since....knock on wood!!

Last edited:
My T-stat was making my engine temps yo-yo. I changed it, I put the new one in a pot of water with a thermometer. I got bit years back with a bad new one.
When I tested the old one, it was doing exactly what thought. Opening a little and slowly closing, then open again. Even @ 212F. Like yo-yo.
I do this with every new thermostat, being neurotic.. remember boiling an Alfa Romeo thermostat for my brother's Guila, back in 1979, and seeing that going on..

Latest posts