Hit by a runaway cart....how much to fix?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thomas Church

Reaction score
I got hit today by some runaway carts in the local grocery store parking lot. The attendant bringing in the carts had a long line that he was pushing in together when the first 3 or 4 broke loose from the pack. I tried to accelerate to miss the carts but still got tagged on the rear passenger fender well. Pretty solid hit as the fiberglass is cracked and paint missing. The manager was very helpful and sounds like all I need to do is get an estimate to have it repaired. Actually told me the kid wasn't following procedure because the carts weren't tethered together and he was supposed to be in front of the carts, not pushing from behind.

I'll turn the estimate in to their insurance and it should be done (hopefully won't have to fight it). I actually felt bad for the young kid, I think he was anticipating me going crazy about it. I just told him not too worry about it, accidents happen!

Will the dealer just replace this side of the truck bed? Hopefully it won't require an entirely new bed.

[Broken External Image]:

fiberglass can get expensive. I am not sure how they repair something like that. I had my truck egged and it was $600 just to repaint the drivers door alone. It wasnt so much the materials, but it was the prep and labor going into making the spot bare and masking the area to be fixed.....

I also park way out in the parking lot. This occured as I was leaving the lot and had to drive in front of the store. I imagine if the carts had missed my truck they would have gone right thru the glass of the store, which would have been quite a site to see.

I feel your pain, well sorta, I hit a deer this past Monday. Well lets say I rolled a seer. She pretty much just bounced off the front of my Trac, no damage what so ever. Only going 25ish by the time I got slowed. Got real lucky. Good Luck with your fix. Marsha

Wow ! that is one heck of a crack for a shopping cart...Iam going to keep my eyes on carts from now on....good that the store acknoledged it..

Seeing the reflections in your paint..looks like you have good shine...

That happened to my wifes trac and it was 945.00 to fix they pulled the box and fixed and repainted the hole thing. It realey sucks good luck and thank god for insurance. Bill

Almost got hit by at cart the other day in my moms car. It was moving so slow it seemed like slow motion. I just sat there and watched it just miss because by the time I would have put it in park and jumped out it would have hit the car. Luckily it missed. But good luck with the repairs. Just remember anything that involves paint gets expensive!