Home-made bed extender

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry Michael

Reaction score
What engine do you have?
V8 engine
What year is your Sport Trac?
What Generation is your Sport Trac?
2n Gen Owner
The multiple requests to help find a bed extender got me thinking last year when I needed to move multiple long and heavy items across the state that were longer than the 49" available in my G2 bed. The open tubular ones that used to be readily available would not suit my needs since I needed a rectangular space (for maximum capacity) with solid walls to hold stuff in during the 4.5 hour drive. And I wanted something that would make as many square feet of the tailgate usable as possible.

I went out into the garage and found some 3/4" plywood scraps that I could cut down. A search in the basement turned up two bolts that fit the threads already built into the tailgate area of the truck. So off to the hardware store I went to buy 4 angle brackets, 16 screws, nuts, fender washers, flat washers and lock washers, and 8 large fender washers. Total cost of the project was $13 for the hardware and a couple of hours to build.

Because of the side tailgate seals, I had to make spacer blocks for the side panels to clear them and the large fender washers were used to get the spacing right. I realized that I would have to install the unit for each trip and then take it apart to stow it in the bed for the return because my factory tonneau cover latch pin assemblies on each side of the bed and the wheel well intrusions were in the way of rotating the extender back into the truck when not in use.

I could have made the extender narrower or shorter to clear all of that but again, maximum capacity was the driving need here. It does rotate so I can slip a piece of 1/4" plywood under it to bridge the gap between the bed mat and the tailgate.

Over the course of a year I've now successfully used it three times, once with the tonneau cover off (to transport my dual-sport motorcycle and several big items) and twice with it on when I did not need the vertical height. It takes about 20 minutes to assemble and install it when it has been disassembled for storage.

Some day I may take the time to paint it all the same color. It was built to be functional for half day drives transporting long items, not something beautiful or weatherproof to be left on the truck permanently. This extender gives me 73" of length in the bed.

P9263205-16.JPG

P9263209-16.JPG

P9263210-16.JPG

Spacer blocks were needed to clear the tailgate seal.

P9263211-16.JPG

Left to right: one fender washer under the bolt head, one between the side panel and the spacer block to allow it to rotate easily and two between the spacer block and the truck.

P9263212-c-16.JPG

1/4" plywood sits under the side pieces to bridge the gap between the tailgate and the bed mat. I could have screwed/nailed that piece to the rest of the extender but then I would have had to store it assembled or take more time with assembly/disassembly.
By keeping it loose the whole thing takes up minimal space in the garage when not in use with the hardware in a zip-lock bag, ready to go.

P9263214-16.JPG

Last edited:

Latest posts