Home Purchasing Advice

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We were happy at the time to get the home inspection on our first house, the sellers ended up having to fix some code violations because of it at their cost instead of my cost. However, there were some non code violations that we viewed should have been fixed as we found out this winter. But all in all i think you should have one, I'm pretty sure there is a law that says you have to have one in MN and any bid on a house is contingent on a good inspection, we picked our inspector too, I wouldn't trust one that the sellers provide. I think the law even says that if the sellers say they've passed an inspection, there still has to be an inspection done during the bidding process or afterwards, because who knows when the sellers had the inspection and if they really are letting you know 100% of the inspection.

I recommend the home inspection. Mine inspection saved me hundreds of dollars in repairs and even caught a fire hazard up in the attic. Those items were fixed at the owners cost. Also, you can get a free termite inspection from Terminix. They found evidence of infestation in my garage (separate from my house). The owner then called to have it treated.

Make sure your home inspector is ASHI certified. Anyone can call themselves an inspector, but ASHI ensures that your inspector is qualified. My real estate agent suggested his own inspector, but I refused and hired my own. Well worth the money.

I signed 22 re-fi forms today.

I read every one of them.

EVERY FORM IS FROM FREDDY MAY OF FANNY MAC. Nothing else is allowed to be used by statute.

There were no suprises, nothing worth $300. I did find one error and corrected and initialed it.

BTW, my credit score was 822! Holy cow, I didn't think that was possible. The only mark against me was Dish and Direct both inquired because I tried to get satellite TV this spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
DoctorCad,

I think I said that refii and new home sales need a lawyer much less than pre-existing homes. It's with pre-existing that you or an inspector more often find issues that you want addressed, and the only way to do that legally is to get a lawyer involved.

I have refi'ed several times. No attorney any of those times, but each time it was straightforward.

Latest posts