Homemade Speed Grille

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard Blair

Reaction score
Supplies needed: 3 aluminum gutter guards found at any home improvement store (I got mine from Lowes), roll of aluminum wire, some white paper, masking tape, razor blade or really sharp knife, rubber clear door guard tubing (found at auto supply stores like Pep Boys), and a wife (or someone with a small hand) . Make sure the gutter guard and the wire is alluminum or other non-rusting material.

grill1.jpg

First thing you need to do is remove the plastic cover. This is the black cover that is over the headlights and radiator. There are about 4 screws and 2 plastic clips. The plastic clips are right over each headlight and need to be pushed towards the outside of the ST to release them (they don't actually come off they are more like a sliding latch.

grill2.jpg

Here is how it looks without the plastic on. (I have already skipped ahead and attached one of the inserts, sorry)

grill3.jpg

Next you need to make the templates. I used regualar typing paper, the longer the better. The reason I used paper was because of all the curves that were needed. Cardboard would not conform very well. I basicly pushed the paper into the area and pushed along the edge with my finger to get the shape. Then I went around the edges with a razor blade. It is a pair around the oval and the two sides. I used masking tape to tape two pieces of paper together (for the top and bottom inserts) and to hold the paper in place while I fit and cut it. For the sides all you have to do is make one template (if you flip it over it will fit the other side) and it is a good thing because with the brush guard in place it is very hard to get to. Yes making these templates is kind of fustrating but once you have them cut the hardest part of the project is done. This is a pic of the template in place with tape. I forgot to take pics as I was doing the project so I had to go back and take some of the pics.

grill4.jpg

Next you tape the templates on the gutter screen and cut them out. I used camping scissors to cut mine out. Tin snips work ok and wire cutters take forever. I got the best results with the camping scissors (You can buy them at Walmart for a few dollars).<P>Once you have all the templates cut out you go and fit them to the areas where they will be placed. You might have to do a little trimming unless you cut them out just right (I had to do some trimming on all four pieces of mine). Once you got them trimmed to fit you use the clear door guard trim to go around the edges of the wire so that the wire can't scratch your paint (thanks for the great idea LaRue). You might have to do a little more trimming with the added width of the rubber. Sorry I don't have a picture of this. I got the idea from LaRue after I finished my project.

grill5.jpg

All that is left now is to attach the screen to the grille. Cut a bunch of 4-6inch pieces of wire. Loop the wire through and twist it tight on the inside of the grille. I did the four corners first and then added wire where it was still loose. This is where you might have to get someone with small hands to help. The passenger side is the hardest becasue of the transmission radiator is in the way (I think that is what it is). It is actaully not too bad with a little patience. Here is a picture of my wife securing the passenger side wire for me. You can see how tight it is.

grill6.jpg

And here is the finished project. Again if you don't feel like making them your self. I will make them for you and ship them with all the parts needed for $40. Most of the cost is labor the rest is shipping and parts. I will even give a 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like them. I am looking for some aluminum clips so all you have to do is push on the grille insert and push in the clips without having to take off the cover or have to get your hand between the radiator and the grille. Feel free to email me with any questions. This project idea was made possible by Ganzoli. Thank you Ganzoli for the great idea!!!

grill7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: