Hood blackout Explorer emblem

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick Kent

Reaction score
The bug guard I put on the ST bit the dust and cracked in half so had to do something new with the front of the ST.

Found a hood black out decal for the F150 and the Explorer Sport hood decal that I decided would update the look of my front end.

49f007a711c49cae66284d8cb77c2cd6.jpg

I like it ! I only think the "Explorer" letting should be a bit wider to fit the full width of the grille, and I think the letters would look better if they were straight up rather than the Italic slant....but then that's just me. Over all I still like it:grin:

...Rich

I'm having to do body work and just to save time I was going to use a litely textured bed liner following a body line- came up with the fender and wrapping all around. I know you only went to fender flares but that front fascia looks good! Did you take it off to paint or just taped everything up? Specific paint used, it doesn't look like a very rough texture like some I seen. I have seen duplicolor and that isn't extremely rough either. Any tips you can add? Besides prep is the golden ticket

Nice retro! Mini h1? What shrouds did you use and did you cut them to fit flush. What kind of color scheme do you have, halos/turn signal- any pictures in action? Any tips you can add on this? I scrolled the threads at hidplanet but it's always nice/better when it's of the same truck you have, I don't think I've seen a full detailed on the st (maybe a little on ef). But very clean, you like the results?

Edit: ok I seen you library. So you had linex-professionally done? I couldn't even tell that the shroud had a flat spot on the bottom. When I was looking on trs before I was only looking at complete circles cause I though it would look out of place otherwise. Also looks like you just painted the headlight housing- good call. Do you use the oven or heat gun to remove the lens? I just bought a heat gun for my door panels and was going to use that instead (it's a 12 setting from 430*-1160*)- don't feel comfortable to use an oven.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Kyle.

Retro's are Mini H1 with the E46 shroud. I did bake them at 200 degrees for about 20 min. No issues with anything melting or other problems. Then used a putty knife to pry the lens off.

The results are really nice, I did have to adjust my headlights up from where the stock were focused and you have to be careful to mount the projectors perfectly horizontal of the cut off line is off. Halos are 6000K as are the HID bulbs. Turn signal bulbs were replaced with LEDs and I had to replace the flasher with a digital one to prevent hyperflashing.

I did black out the interior of the headlight housing with flat black to get rid of any chrome, no need for it with the projector. Only the shroud is chrome. Halo's were originally CCFL but I then replaced them with LED.

The font bumper fascia was completely removed and was done in LineX as well. I had them do the whole thing including the painted portion because I liked the look of an all black front end. I did have them put the gloss coat on.

I recently went back for a quote to do more work from the body molding down, across the molding on the tailgate and connecting up the fenders and bedside to the fender flairs. Basically having the bottom 1/3 of the truck done in LineX. Gotta save up a few more pennies to before I can do it.

When my factory nerf bars started to rust I used Herculiner roll/brush on. Very rough texture and flat black. It did the job of curing the rust but eventually it had to go.

LineX or Rhino liner would be my preference if money is not an issue.

Ranger, thanks for that. That's the body line I was referring to (the same as the recent quote you went for). I don't have the flares and I won't be putting my cladding back on either so that's why I'm planning on going that high. I have rust to deal w/ and I don't want to worry about getting it perfect, since I never used body filler or done body work I'm hoping it will hide the imperfections. I have a white st and a black topper so I think it will look good- I'll do the topper the same as the lower 3rd of the truck.

I need a replacement windshield and have recently been considering a stone/bug deflector, specifically weather tech. I was never really a fan of them but if I have to pay 200$ + on glass I want to protect it as much as I can. What bug deflector/brand did you have? What were/are your thoughts on it? Drawbacks you had, besides it breaking.

If I can ever get my taxes done from the last 3 yrs (I'm hoping to get $), I'll do the retro. So far I plan on getting new headlight to use, painting the chrome black, use mini h1, shroud unknown (but paint it a graphite type color). Been thinking of using the 4300 or 4500k (can't remember which one they offer off the top), halos would most likely be led and Amber. Maybe some kind of switch back action not sure. I would keep the corners reflector if it's Amber not yellow, paint chrome black and obviously Amber led bulbs. Thought of adding small Amber led strip inside the corner too. We will see

Ranger, thanks for that. That's the body line I was referring to (the same as the recent quote you went for). I don't have the flares and I won't be putting my cladding back on either so that's why I'm planning on going that high. I have rust to deal w/ and I don't want to worry about getting it perfect, since I never used body filler or done body work I'm hoping it will hide the imperfections. I have a white st and a black topper so I think it will look good- I'll do the topper the same as the lower 3rd of the truck.

I need a replacement windshield and have recently been considering a stone/bug deflector, specifically weather tech. I was never really a fan of them but if I have to pay 200$ + on glass I want to protect it as much as I can. What bug deflector/brand did you have? What were/are your thoughts on it? Drawbacks you had, besides it breaking.

If I can ever get my taxes done from the last 3 yrs (I'm hoping to get $), I'll do the retro. So far I plan on getting new headlight to use, painting the chrome black, use mini h1, shroud unknown (but paint it a graphite type color). Been thinking of using the 4300 or 4500k (can't remember which one they offer off the top), halos would most likely be led and Amber. Maybe some kind of switch back action not sure. I would keep the corners reflector if it's Amber not yellow, paint chrome black and obviously Amber led bulbs. Thought of adding small Amber led strip inside the corner too. We will see