Hood support struts

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark K 2

Reaction score
Just replaced the hood support gas struts. They were getting weak. So I go to open the hood to replace them and it wouldn't stay up; guess that was good planning. Took all of 5 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
To keep the struts serviced. The shafts clean from rust and particles and the seals in shape. Clean them 2 times a year and wipe the shafts with white lithium grease.

Good tip Eddie. I did mine last summer...after the hood fell down on my cheap work light I had hanging from the hood latch. Bulb glass everywhere...twice:banghead: better than my head I suppose. Went right out and grabbed two struts and a quality work light. :supercool:

I just replaced mine as well. We had a cold snap in Georgia and my hood wouldn't stay up as I was replacing the battery. Good as new now...well they are new, huh? :banana:

To keep the struts serviced. The shafts clean from rust and particles and the seals in shape. Clean them 2 times a year and wipe the shafts with white lithium grease.
Hi Eddie, My '04 Trac has weak hood struts, the hood falls on my head after a few seconds. Was it easy to replace them? Just go online to Ford.com (or to the local dealer) and buy a couple? They are almost $100 each. Thanks.

Adam,

The post you commented on is from 2013 !!! Eddie is still around but may not see the post.... feel free to create a new post.

BUT they are real easy to change.

Adam,

The post you commented on is from 2013 !!! Eddie is still around but may not see the post.... feel free to create a new post.

BUT they are real easy to change.
Thanks, just about to try to do the job myself with (hopefully) a 2" x 4" to hold the hood up.

If you haven’t already done it, they’re very easy. I think when I did my ‘03 about a year ago, the Monroe hood Struts were much less expensive than Ford/Motorcraft, if I could even if find the OEM.

Took longer to find something to prop the hood open than it did to change the struts.

The job was easy, but got totally ripped off at the dealer. Too embarrassed to say what I paid....

Latest posts