Hose Identification

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to upgrade to a aluminum thermostat housing since I've replaced two plastic version within a 9-10 month period. Everything is back together and I have a leak coming from that hose circled in red where it connects to the metal tubing going up to the heater core. I think it is a heater hose but am not sure.
I have found something that looks similar on ebay that may or may not be the part. Can someone verify this and let me know if this is the correct replacement or direct to the correct part???

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3934827904...F1nySvAtzULCflN9F3TV|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:2047675

Attachments

• hose.jpg
    hose.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 38
$30 for a small chunk of hose... nope..

Pull it off and head to your local parts shop. Say "gimme something that looks like this" and then trim it to fit.

RA also has many molded coolant elbows that are trim to fit for around $7-10. Look in 'cooling system -> coolant hose/pipe' and 'heat and air conditioning -> heater hose'.
Biggest issue with RA is you have to game the shipping algorithm. Pick up some wiper blades while you are there, they are cheap and make the ~$10 shipping worth it. Or maybe grab a spare oil/air filter. Just make sure it all comes from the same warehouse so you are not paying double shipping.

Last edited:
...decided to upgrade to a aluminum thermostat housing
...leak coming from that hose circled in red
...heater hose but am not sure.
...something that looks similar on ebay
...Can someone verify
Excellent that you're replacing junk plastic TStatHousing with an Aluminum version; good decision!
Yep, you've got the correct Ford part for that 5/8" coolant hose elbow;
out of top right of TStatHousing, connects to a HeaterHoseSteelTeeContraption bolted to right side of engine.
Yep, agree with Blert, $30 is gouging for this short OEM heater hose.
A while back, replaced all Motorcraft 5/8"HeaterHoses with HoseByTheFoot from local store; no regrets.
Also removed the useless 5/16' PCVCoolantLoop that was in parallel with HeaterCoolantLoop
& the related HeaterHoseSteelTeeContraption + HeaterHoseJunkPlasticTee; no regrets.
Also replaced HeaterControl junk plastic 2WayBallValve with an old style metal 2WayPlugValve; no regrets.

Links to related info below.
https://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Engine_Coolant_ThermoStathttps://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Engine_Coolant_HeaterValvehttps://2001fordexplorersporttrac.fandom.com/Engine_Coolant
2001.Ford.ExST_Stat.Hous_0500_NewPart.GIF

Last edited:
ok after 18 years of the original with no issues you guys got me thinking i need to replace mine,, any preference on one and where to get it. and any and all that is related to replacing,,,thanks for the heads up.

ok after 18 years of the original with no issues you guys got me thinking i need to replace mine,, any preference on one and where to get it. and any and all that is related to replacing,,,thanks for the heads up.
There is basicly 2 designs available for the aluminum TStatHousing;
1piece body from SimmonsAutoSportz or 2piece body from everybody else.
Each has slight advantage\disadvantage, either's a vast improvement over OEM plastic junk.
Either's available from ToddZ (?), SAS, RockAuto, Amazon, Ebay, Walmart (not recommended), ...

what one are you running and one would assume a one piece would be better as in less joints to fail. camo mentioned 2 failures so hopefully i only need to do it once. i have had zero issues with mine but it sounds like a ticking bomb and just been lucky. over the years you guys have mentioned issues and you guys have not steered people wrong. and thanks for the help i just need to order the right one.

Like any other part, good judgement & workmanship makes for a good installation.

The one-piece has to be cast so it is more expensive (around three times or so). The two-piece is CNC'd so it is cheaper. In theory the one-piece should be "better", in practice... probably doesn't matter.

what one are you running and one would assume a one piece would be better as in less joints to fail. camo mentioned 2 failures so hopefully i only need to do it once. i have had zero issues with mine but it sounds like a ticking bomb and just been lucky. over the years you guys have mentioned issues and you guys have not steered people wrong. and thanks for the help i just need to order the right one.
I purchased mine on Amazon, it came with the sensors, silicon hose, clamps and bolts, and a thermostat with a breather hole