HOT RADIO/CRUISE CONTROLRECALL

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a 2002 ST, and If I play the OEM cd player and remove the cd after perhaps a half hour or so, the cd is "hot" to the touch as is the front facia of the radio. I was wondering if anyone out there was having a similar experience. On another topic what do we do about the cruise control recall ?

Oleh

On the recall, you take the ST to the dealer and they'll look at it.

The hot radio and CD thing is normal....the dash doesn't vent too well and all the heat from the radio doesn't have anywhere to go and just sits and bakes the radio and CD. Contrary to popular thinking, the lights in the radio are LEDs, not filament bulbs, so it's not the bulbs making things hot, it's just the radio.

I mounted a 12 volt computer cooling fan onto the back of my radio. I have it powered to the secondary power line. That way it comes on when the radio is on.

Fan helps a HUGE amount. I have it pulling the air through the radio in the direction from the face to the rear of the radio. In all cases, even with the heat on, I figure the cabin is cooler than our little oven radios.

Did not do a project of it but it was simple. I should pull it and submit one as this is an on going issue.

I went to radio shack and bought a generic computer fan that draws through the fan, (like a house fan would, not off to the side of the fins).

There were four little tabs at the corners. Drilled two of the tabs so there was a small hole in it. It just happened to line up to various holes on the back of the radio. Used VERY short screws to prevent internal damage. Ran the ground wire to another hole and screwed it to the case with another short screw. Then ran the hot wire to a hot wire that becomes hot with the ignition right on the wire harness on the back side of the radio.

Did it to my 01 and my 03. The CD's actually come out warm at best. Nothing is hot anymore..

Can also leave the heater settings on the cold setting, Leaving it on low and warm will allow the vent to keep hot air in the dash...

Todd Z