How did this happen!?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Wustman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, just looking for some insight on this. I had been averaging 16-17 MPG combined with my 2002 4x4. I previously had 265/75/16 Toyo A/T's, and last month, I bought 265/75/16 BFG A/T's. After installing these tires, I have been getting 13-14 MPG combined. What is going on here? They are the exact same size as the Toyo's were, and I haven't changed anything else on the truck at all.

Brett

Weather change ?? Driving habits ??? Were the old tires so worn that the new ones are taller ??

Todd Z

Even though they may have the same tire designation their rev/mile can be different. Also some tires have more rolling resistence than others.

Generally, the BFGs are a very heavy tire. I've wondered if that would impact mileage. I have no experience to come to any conclusion though.

Dune', I got pretty much the same results going from 255/70/R16 Goodyear RT/S, to Fortera Silent Armor of the same brand and size. I've been using the same top-tier gas, all filters are new or clean, new plugs and wires, driving style has not become more aggressive, tires balanced, rotated, and alligned, and I even upped the air pressure of the fronts from 32 to 34 psi while maintaining the rears at 35 (psi). Same results with or without XCalibrator 87 octane performance tune. All fingers point to the change of tires. I guess the more aggressive tread and the extra weight from fancy interior layers has something to do with it. Being lighter on the pedal on my last tank yielded 15mpg, but I got to my destinations about 2 minutes slower than usual. ;)

I think I can feel the difference in the way these new BFG's stick to the road. When I picked the truck up from getting the new tires installed, I definitely felt a difference. I guess I will just wait and see what happens. This is just a better excuse for adding more mods, to help with gas mileage ya know ;)

Then let me add that those mpg figures I posted is what I get even with Volant CAI and Flowmaster 40 muffler.

BTW, these Fortera Silent Armors may be quieter and grippier overall, but still quite scary on very wet highway driving. I think I'll just lay off the throttle some thank you very much.

:p