How do I read ODB error codes

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Cole 2

Reaction score
My '02 ST's check engine light just came on. I have read posts on here about the DPFE and the cracked elbow and I will check/change the elbow first and then if the problem persists, I will look at the sensor.(after getting the codes read) I know how to jump the ODB port on a chevy to get the CEL to flash the codes, but this is my first Ford and I don't want to do anything stupid. Does anyone know if there is a similar, simple method for the ST? I understand that autozone will check the ODB for me, but I would like to do it myself if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Tom

Buy a code reader.

Doesn't get much simpler then that.

The cheapest ones I seen can be purchased at Harbor Freight.

Tom

Tom,

I think the old trick of using a paper clip to jump the two contacts to get the CEL light to blink out the code, only worked on the old OBD systems. The new OBD-II systems include alpha characters in the code to indicate which main area is detecting the code.

You can buy inexpensive OBD-II code readers, however that would assume that you plan on getting a lot of CEL lights:wacko: You would also need a Ford repair manual or CD/DVD to know what all the codes mean since some codes are propietry codes only used by specific manufacturers on specific models. Some manuals that come with the cheaper readers only include the generic codes.

It's much simpler and cheaper to go to AutoZone and have them read the codes for you. Then you can post the error code here and someone will look it up and tell you what it means.

...Rich

Jumping the new style OBD II is not an option. In fact, with an active scanner it uses various pins to active many of the controls on your vehicle. It does this using 10 meg or less ohms. With an active scanner you can active your fuel pump, the solenoids for the DPFE, have the injectors turn off and on, etc etc etc.

Sooo, you stand a great chance of damaging something by jumping pins...

Thank you very much. I was just wondering if the paper clip trick worked, but now I know better. I really appreciate the responses.

Tom Cole

Autozone checked it for me and sure enough, 1400 - the DPFE sensor. The guy could not believe that I knew what it was.

I found the sensor on www.wholesaleparts4u.com for $22.55. They have it listed as an EGR system pressure sensor.

Tom

Tom,

The DPFE error codes are P0401 and P0402 indicating "Too little" and :Too Much" EGR flow respectively. I'm not sure what a 1400 error is since it does not have a "P" prefix that indicates it's from the "Power Train"?

...Rich

Tom,

The NHTSA changed the website ans screwed everything up, but if I am not mistaken, P1400, 1401, 1402, and some other MIL codes cover the DPFE sensor.

Tom

Latest posts