How is the windshield washer motor pulled?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Zuber

Reaction score
Got a dripping leak of windshield washer fluid, and I can see that it's dripping from the area of the motor. Not sure if its the motor itself, or perhaps where the motor enters and seals against the fluid container. How does the motor come out? Looking I didn't see any obvious screws, etc. but it's also a cramped situation. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Often they'll snap into a recess in the reservoir.

This is not a picture of the ST reservoir, but it's a good example.

[Broken External Image]:

http://www.mysporttrac.com/~library/26139/windshield-washer-pump-and-reservoir-removal-and-installation.pdf

Job is now complete...new pump and seal from Autozone for $16. I removed the top fender bolt that holds a cruise control unit bracket, thus allowing me to move the cruise control unit out of the way. The difficult part was disconnecting the electrical. After that I could see the dripping coming from the motor. After getting the fluid tank empty, and disconnecting the electrical, I gently rocked the pump motor while pushing/pulling the motor toward the firewall. My son removed the pump rubber seal from the tank since he has smaller fingers. Installing the new pump I trimmed about 1/4" from the small hose going out to the discharge jets to ensure a tight seal to the pump discharge line. I know that wasn't my leak problem, and there are some "ports" at the bottom of the pump motor. I use my windshield washer all the time, but I don't know if it would have worked when I found the leak since I didn't operate the vehicle.

Latest posts