How much fluid to refill after dropping pan...

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlipTrac_511

Reaction score
How much Mercon V do I need for refill after dropping pan and changing the transmission filter?

Thanks in advance...

Book say 5. My '04 only held 4. I installed a drain plug the first time. After a few hundred miles, I drained it again. Then it barely held 3. Oddd..........:banghead:

So I dont know whats true..............:banghead:

I installed a drain plug also, the last time I had it down. Gonna change the filter so...off the pan goes. I think I used to refill 4qts.

my '03 took almost 5. I did let that sucker drain for awhile though. I remember that filter held quite a bit. Also, if I recall correctly, a bit more drained out of the body when pulling the filter off. Eddie- That might account for your 'shortage" the second time around. Check out my thread for a few tips.(if you need em) I just turkey basted out some power steering fluid and added the extra I had purchased. Turned steering wheel lock-lock and drove around. Did this everyday until it was used up and ended up with essentially all new fluid in the ps system.

...I "punked" out on installing a drain plug. You guys are much braver than I. Wish I did though. I may give it a shot next time around. :supercool: not to highjack. but, any suggestions on a brand or type of drain? I have no experience with install of these.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark,

Advance auto has a good drain plug. Package says for trans-pans. About $3. You will need a 1/2" drill bit. Make sure of the location will not interfer with the valve body.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts