how tight on the pcv ??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim parnell

Reaction score
was piddling on my 02, and noticed some oil on and around the pcv valve connection. I followed the project on changing it a while back, and looked again at the project, is the pcv valve body supposed to be snug against the valve cover with no movement at all when properly installed??

The PCV does not slide in or out. There are 2 internal locking tabs that need to be unlocked when taking it put. and should sit against the valve cover.

When Todd and I did the project we used channel lock pliers and gently lifted up on the PCV valve to get it to lock in place.

Once it is locked in place you should not be able to take it out by hand.

We also zip tied the elbow on to make sure it didn't just fall out if something

happened.

Paul H

Last edited by a moderator:
should the pcv valve itself "move" or rattle in its connection any at all while the motor is not running, I have some oil residue around the connection at the valve cover, not much but some. I realize it has the locking tabs, but does it "lock down" fairly tight without any play at all??

You might need to replace the rubber gromet in the valve cover. They deteriate with age and heat.

The PCV has a rubber o ring on it, try and tighten it some more, IF not, Clean the area and ziptie the hose.

Todd Z

[Broken External Image]:

[Broken External Image]:

Last edited by a moderator:
Bill,

When the heat is on in the truck, the heater valve opens and coolant flows to keep the PCV valve and throttle body warm to prevent icing of the valves....

Todd Z