How To Change the Color Of The Ford Emblems

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrainTrac

Reaction score
I found an article on a Ranger site detailing how to change the color of the Ford emblems. Since FoMoCo has tightened their licensing restrictions and aftermarket colored emblems are now pretty scarce, I thought some here would be interested in this. I may try this myself...

Color Ford Logo by Joshua Shouse

Are you looking for something else to do to your ranger to help make it your own? Something that will help to set it apart from all the other Ford pick ups out there on the road? How about changing the color of all your For Oval Emblems. Everyone knows that the Ford Emblem is a blue oval, but what about making it red, or yellow, are even green, if thats what you would like. Well, here’s your chance to do just that, and chances are you can do this mod for less than about 15 or 20 dollars. Before you can get started, your going to need to gather up a few things to do this.

* Sandpaper. Get 100, 440, and 1500 grit

* Paint. The color that you want your emblem to be. You will also need to get a Clear Coat.

* 3M Emblem Tape. For reattaching the logo.

* Wax. Any kind of automotive car wax should work.

* And your Ford Emblem. Any of the various size emblems will work.

Ok, now that you have all your materials gathered together, its time to begin.

Step 1 - When you begin, this is what you should start with. Just a normal Ford Oval emblem. At this point, the emblem is just off the truck. Nothing has been done yet, but the fun is about to begin.

Step 2 - First you need to remove the emblem. There are several ways to do this, I chose to remove everything, including the chrome surround, from the grille (it is held on with 2 lock nuts) but I was removing the grille anyway, so it wasn't that big a deal. What you will have to do is heat it up slightly and pry it off with a knife or screwdriver (this needs to be thin). It is held on with a light putty/glue substance, just take it and pry all around the corners till you can slide a knife or something else thin in between the chrome ring and the inner emblem. Just be sure that it is thin enough to fit between the inner emblem and chrome ring so not to chip the inner emblem. Also do not try to remove the glue…..

Step 3 - Get some 100 grit sandpaper and then start to sand the back till all of the glue is off the back, not in the niches for the FORD letter, just leave it (DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE IT). Now switch to 440 grit and finish sanding all of the blue part off. Now swith to 1500 wet or dry and wet sand it till smooth (it will still be a whitish color but when you spray it the paint will make it look clear again…

Now mask the front of the emblem if you so choose and spray the back the chosen color. I went ahead and masked the front then sanded it (after the paints dry and tape removed) and sprayed it with clear). I used about 6 light coats. Then I sanded the front of the emblem and cleared back over it with 2 coats of clear, wet sanded with 1500 grit and then used Show car glaze and yellow wax to bring it to a brilliant shine.

And thats it. Now just use the 3M emblem tape to reapply the logo back onto your truck!

Article linked below with pictures.

Last edited by a moderator: