how to check trans oil level, does it have a dipstick??

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Smith

Reaction score
how can you tell what transmission you have?
does my 2007 4.6 SOHC 3V V8 6 SPEED have a trans dipstick where is the filler hole?

ON level ground, truck running in park, Put a long sleeve shirt on, Get under truck with a 19mm wrench.
Passenger side of trans next to exhaust is a tall cap. open it and BE CAREFULL !! there is a 3" long plastic dip stick in there that loves to snap. Check level on that,,,,,, ( google for more info) 07-10 4 door is same trans.

ON level ground, truck running in park, Put a long sleeve shirt on, Get under truck with a 19mm wrench.
Passenger side of trans next to exhaust is a tall cap. open it and BE CAREFULL !! there is a 3" long plastic dip stick in there that loves to snap. Check level on that,,,,,, ( google for more info) 07-10 4 door is same trans.
thanks Todd great info, any idea of the tool used to remove the trans to rad line fitting any tool needed???

Last edited:
I would also wear a leather glove. I over heated the muscles in my hand on a friends gen 2. It hurt for a week.
I you drop the pan for a filter change. Measure the amount you drain. Use a 1/2" hose or tubing on a funnel at the top, in the engine bay. Pour the same amount back in. Drive and recheck like Todd said.
I would install a drain plug. Next time it wont be so messy. I do that on every pan I drop.

Latest posts