HOW TO LOCK YOUR CAR (Snopes Approved)

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
HOW TO LOCK YOUR CAR

(Snopes Approved)

I locked my car --- as I walked away I heard my car door unlock I went back and locked my car again three times. I looked around and there were two guys sitting in a car in the fire lane next to the store.

When I looked straight at them they did not unlock my car again.

How to lock your car safely:

While traveling my son stopped at a roadside park. He came out to his car less than 4-5 minutes later and found someone had gotten into his car, and stolen his cell phone, laptop computer, GPS navigator, briefcase ..... you name it ...

He called the police and since there were no signs of his car being broken into - the police told him that there is a device that robbers are using now to clone your security code when you lock your doors on your car using your key-chain locking device.

They sit a distance away and watch for their next victim. They know you are going inside of the store, restaurant, or bathroom and have a few minutes to steal and run.

The police officer said to be sure to manually lock your car door by hitting the lock button inside the car, that way if there is someone sitting in a parking lot watching for their next victim it will not be you.

When you hit the lock button on your car upon exiting...it does not send the security code, but if you walk away and use the door lock on your key chain- it sends the code through the airwaves where it

can be stolen, something totally new to us...and real ...

Be aware of this and please pass this note on .. look how many times we all lock our doors with our keys...

just to be sure we remembered to lock them .... and bingo someone have our code...and whatever was in the car ... can be gone forever....

Be safe, especially at this time of year!

I was under the impression that modern key fob locking transmitters used "rolling" codes which would prevent this from happening.

The last time I got this, Snopes said it was bogus. Have they changed their stance on this issue?

Most after market security systems have been using anti code grabbing technology for over 10 years now. I'd suspect OEM equipment would have upgraded to similar technology.

Partly true, which also means partly false.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Fmarano,

Snopes isn't the end all, be all, but in a world of misinformation and internet-lore sent from everyone's crazy sister-in-law, it is as good a site as any for debunking much of the crap that is sent around.

Some folks are just so gullible.

TJR

You could do the research yourself on these types of things but why would you when Snopes has already done it with many more resources.

Bill......I've seen that trick before, I think another member posted a Utube video of it on here last year. :)

I suppose they could do it with garage door openers as well.

Technology.........gotta luv it!! :D

Here's one way it can be done :eek:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v9EQqKh2IKg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v9EQqKh2IKg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited by a moderator:
thats scarry stuff, when we leave the house I deadbolt the garage door.

Got 75 grand worth of stuff in the garage.

Exit the front door.Actuate the fake pitbull soundtrac, good to go:)

I flip off the switch which gives power to mine at night and if were going to be gone for awhile, I slide the lock lever inside my garage.....

Not worth taking the risk and just relying that the door is being kept closed with the garage door unit.

I've got neighbors that keep forgetting that their door is open and usually leave it open all night. :wacko:

have Neighbors that have not closed the garage doors for 3 yrs

I remember a world (Ok, USA), not so long ago, where you did not have to worry about closing garage doors or even locking your house. I liked that USA.

Had friends who sold their house (guessing late 90s) and at closing were asked for the keys to the house. They said they would have to look for them and would get back to the buyer. Do not believe they ever found them.

It's a different world for sure...

While I was working down in Puerto Rico, I noticed just about everyone had bars on all their windows and doors. Not real safe if there was a fire and they had to get out in a hurry. Even saw condo's 10 stories up where people had bars enclosing their balconies.

I learned while working down there, there are only two classes of people......rich or poor and the crime is extreamly high.

My brother, while he was serving with the Navy down there, he and three of his friends were robbed at gun point just after they stepped off the base while walking along the sidewalk.

Desert you are right about those bars. They have caused many deaths from fire. They are very popular here in the older neighborhoods of Miami as well. All new installations the bars actually mount completely through the wall with a king pin on the inside. Pull the pin from the interior and the bars simply fall off from the window in an emergency.

Wes,

The condo I stayed at while in P.R. had one of those iron doors outside of the front door. We had to use a paddlock that attatched to the door. So, we had to have a key handy to unlock the lock.

Kinda felt like I was in a cell while staying there. My condo was 18 stories up which was in the Twin Tower Condo's in Isla Verde.

I did witness two drive-by shootings for the three months while I was down there. Both turned out to be drug related.

Anyway, your right, seems all should be fitted for those easy latches in case you have to get out in a hurry. I never felt good about locking myself in my condo while down there.