How to replace cracked elbow?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben beethe

Reaction score
I would like to check and see if my infamous elbow is cracked. I tried pulling on it and it seems really stuck on there.

Is the best way to get it off to pull on it or what?

Jettman - the crack normally forms right on top of the elbow. It should just pull off at the end near the throttle body. I'm sure if you do a search you can find a great picture of the elbow. I'll take a quick look and post the link if I find it.

Here is the link to the thread with the great picture. Thank you to Adam S. for the picture.

Last edited by a moderator:
you can loosen it by lightly lifting on the edge of it to break the seal...

and normally it cracks on the bottom, but some have cracked on the top...

Can allways get a new one any way and cut the old on off carefully with a razor..

Todd Z

Thanks for the info. I tried again to pull it off w/no luck. I am having the dealer do a couple of other things to my ST so I will have them pull it off and check it.

By the way, what does DPFE stand for?

I can answer the cracked elbow question real easy. I used a utility knife to split the hose length wise to get it off from either end and then used it to measure the length on the replacement part from AutoZone. Took all of a couple of minutes. I did move the other hose out of the way to provide an easier access.

Cutting it off would be the easiest way, but I would like to know if I have a crack on the bottom of it first before cutting it.

The reason why I am wondering if there is a crack in the elbow is because I am getting the following codes:

P0455

P0401

P0171

Cut it off, as said above by cutting a slit in the top of it down the length of the elbow. If you have a NAPA close by, I used part # 10813, its a heater hose and the bend works perfect. Good luck!

The P0401 is for the DPFE. That's "Delta Pressure Feedback EGR" and is the small black sensor on the driver's side valve cover right over the exhaust manifold with two hi-temp silicone hoses attached to it.

Replace that and clear your codes...

I think I got the P0455 when I had the cracked hose too (mine cracked right on top)...

HTH...

Mark

I used a pair of pliers on the hose and turned it from one side to the other. That will loosen it up. It can be a little difficult to reach, especially the one by the firewall. I used channel locks on the one by the firewall. Take Todd Z's advice and change the PCV if you haven't done it recently.

Make sure you don't replace the DPFE like some goofball that I know who had it in backwards and couldn't figure out why the CEL kept coming back on (self).:rolleyes: