How will they stay in business?

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreman

Reaction score
I've read the many posts about ordering a Sport Trac and having to wait 2, 3, 5, 8 months or so to get it in, if it ever gets there at all. My uncle recently went to a dealer he's done business with for 20 years, and wanted to buy a new Cadillac (the DTS model). They told him they didn't have any in stock, did not get any on the last shipment, and probably wouldn't get any anytime soon. They couldn't even order one for him! How are the manufacturers going to stay in business if they won't get the cars to paying customers?

I have never heard of a dealer not willing to order a vehicle for a person who is willing to pay. I'm not saying your story is untrue, but maybe some pieces were fibbed a little.

most of the times, the customer finds out what the time frame is on waiting for the new vehicle and bails out because they wont wait....

Try another sales person that has been there longer. I'm sure the story would be different.

When we bought our FJ they told us you can't order one. I went to another sales person and he told me all the FJs in the Northwest come into Portland and they have the basic Package #1. Any options or additional packages are added on after they hit port. I said perfect put us on a list for the Package #1 and tell us when it comes in. 10 days later we had our vehicle. The roof rack, hitch and step bars I can order at cost and didn't want to pay Toyota for those items.

I see plenty of inventory on Tracs at the local dealerships around here.

GM cars, I'm sure the dealer can locate the car or order it.

I've read the many posts about ordering a Sport Trac and having to wait 2, 3, 5, 8 months or so to get it in, if it ever gets there at all. My uncle recently went to a dealer he's done business with for 20 years, and wanted to buy a new Cadillac (the DTS model). They told him they didn't have any in stock, did not get any on the last shipment, and probably wouldn't get any anytime soon. They couldn't even order one for him! How are the manufacturers going to stay in business if they won't get the cars to paying customers

?

Maybe it's a sales ploy? Were they trying to sell your uncle a different vehicle off the lot?

I went to Honda the other day and test drove a EX-L CR-V, fully loaded, AWD, Nav..ect...

It wasn't the color I wanted and I didn't need the Nav... needless to say, when I asked them to search for one I wanted, they came back telling me that the one I was looking for is very rare and Florida had none, BUT they were willing to sell my the one off the lot.

I walked away and haven't looked back. Bastards.

I think there was something about exceeding their allocation or something like that. Do dealerships only get a certain number of cars, or can they order as many as they want?

It is up to the dealership itself to determine how many cars they want. They buy them from the makers, so the maker doesnt care how many they buy because if a dealer doesnt sell them, the dealer takes the loss.

Here in Syracuse, we have the biggest Hyundai dealer in the country. One month he sold 2000 new Hyundai's. It's crazy and he does it every year.....usuallyhe shoots for 500 in 30 days. Fucillo Hyundai is the name. He owns alot of dealerships, even some in Vegas.

I had same problem with my 04 ST. Jordan Ford, the same dealer that someone posted a pic of an orange Mustang from a week back, told me they could not order, nor could they swap, trade, buy, whatever they do, from another dealer. So I went to the other dealer, 20 minutes away and bought the one I wanted.

grump

A dealer has a major incentive to sell the cars already on the lot since they pay monthly residuals or somesuch for each car on the lot for some period of time. I haven't worked in the industry, but such was explained to me by someone who supposedly knows. That's why the sales agents try to sell whats on the lot and why many won't take orders or transfers from other dealers.

TJR

The dealer would much rather sell you something from the lot, even at the expense of taking a chance of losing a sale. Ditto the salesman, who will be out on the street if he doesn't sell his quota for a month or two. I used to sell cars and I never minded if a sold order here and there came through.

"Jon, what kinda day ya havin'?"

"I ordered a Fleetwood, Skip."

"Why didn't you sell the one we had?" :angry:

"They didn't want blue."

"Make them like it."

In fairness, at my dealership we didn't mind sold orders too much because we were limited in terms of space to keep a large selection anyway. A big part of the dealer's fear is that they will order your car and meantime you will find a better deal and cancel or not buy the ordered car. Newer salesmen may not even know that it's possible to special-order a car, and the dealer doesn't want them to know. Successful car salesmen are salesmen first and car guys second, if at all. The dealer and salesman's main objective is to get you in a new car today, now, ASAP, so that you don't keep shopping for a lower price.

My favorite story was when my dad ordered a new BMW in 2000. No problem ordering it, order got sent to Germany, car got built, put on a boat, and he had it in less than five weeks. :blink:

...That's because the Germans (and Italians and French) still build cars with passion. May not be the best built cars, may not be the easiest to work on, but damned if you'll find more passionate people about their product.