HP and 1/4 mile

Ford SportTrac Forum

Help Support Ford SportTrac Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Cunnings

Reaction score
Has anyone done much dyno testing, or run the 1/4. Like I have mentioned before I have the 4.6 AWD and would like to get into the 14's (14.9 is fine with me). I just want to be able to beat npi mustangs. How much power is available from a re-tune, cold air and exhaust? Any other decent power gains for these without getting into a blower?

I have a Mustang so I do need anything rediculous out of this, just to be able to mess with some friends with Mustangs and Powerstrokes.

mike,

i have a fully loaded (heavy) 07 lmtd v-8 4x4 and last october, i took it to englishtown, nj to run a 1/4 for some laughs.

i ran 16.245 @ 85.71 mph on a warm and humid night. my only mods were a zabtek tb and a magnaflow cat back.

to achieve 14's in pretty difficult with the minor mods and you have to realize these are vehicles that are working against you for this purpose (1/4 mile). my times are pretty much the same as stock even with the very minor mods. to achieve your goal, you really need to heavily mod your truck and for all that money you are still only in the upper 14's.

imo, not worth all the extra cash to obtain a not so impressive number.

Well that sucks. I was hoping for headers, catback, tune, throttle body and cold air would put you at around 350HP. The thing I don't understand is my friends 3/4 ton powerstroke, putting 340 down at the wheels runs mid 14's. Not only that, but a Lightning with 390 puts down mid 13s. I guess it is in the weight and gearing.

I strongly recommend a SCT XCalibrator II from one of our site sponsors; Bamachips or Fast Parts Network. Get a one tune for economy & one for performance. It only takes about 5 min. to change between tunes. I also recommend a CAI. You could also change out the coil to the ones a are per spark plug.

You will never touch a diesel in the new trucks....

Those with minor mods can be brought into the 600HP range....

The ST motor uses a different intake killing the HP but raising the torque...

Unless you swap things out, the ST will never touch the mustang..

Todd Z

You don't need anything rediculous, you say, yet you're talking about a tune and headers and all sorts of other crazy stuff, which in the end will probably cost more than mah trac cost me :)

**Why would you want per-cylinder ignition coils? Wouldn't that be a really massive overhaul?

1/4th mile performance isn't anything....the cars that own it come on strong, but don't last long, and I personally don't want to be associated with that expression, so ah stay away. Don't know if you concur, but to each his own....

Oh. Thanks Fast Eddie. I haven't made it to knowing much about the latter tracs yet, besides the fact that I don't have one ;)

Tangenting, what exactly does the Granatelli maf sensor do? Some venerable forum members have it, but what exactly does it do for you?

(I'll assume "improves power" or something, but I'm looking for more of a how than a what ;)

Kevin using a heated wire and resistor the air flow cools it telling the computer what the intake air temp and flow is. That in turn helps the computer adjust the A/F ratio and buddies the TPS sensor to tell the computer the throttle position...

The grantelli is EXACTLY the same dia as the stock sensor. IT only Tricks the computer, telling it more air flow..

a Larger Housing such as the 73MM C&L actually allows more air into the engine..

Todd Z

Nope, But tricking the computer is no good, IT only causes the truck to run rich and then the 02 sensors lean it back out...

Todd Z

No, I don't consider headers and a tune crazy. They are fairly normal bolt ons that I have on my Mustang and my ranger. With all of those mods I mentioned I would be well under 2k inot my engine, and personally I consider that pretty mild. Crazy to me is 5k and up ie. blower.

Unfortunately with the ST most of the 300 + dollar mods don't make 20HP like it does on a mustang..

So we consider mild stuff like intakes and cat back exhaust..

Todd Z

I do have one friend with a 600HP diesel, but most of them are the 7.0 stroker with chips and such. 300-350 at the wheels. The thing I don't understand is how the ST can be so slow. Take the Harley Davidson for example, not the new one or the Lightning for that matter. Not much more power, but running 3 seconds faster in the 1/4. I would think 350 would be pretty easily obtainable on these with the bolt ons I was talking about. Steeda is getting almost 40 RWHP out of the Mustang with a tune and cold air.

Latest posts